Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flat tire question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

You can plug it and probably be fine, I made the decision to replace mine, I figured I could afford it and when you are running on just 2, why chance it. But most will probably say waste of money to replace.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Danow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about patching it? I heard plugs can come out.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:50 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Back in the day, I wouldn't think twice about plugging a tubeless tire or pulling it and patching it on the inside. I did it probably hundreds of times and only had a couple of minor issues. Car has four tires anyway, so no es nada. My motorcycles back then had tubes so I just patched them and rode on.

This Harley I got now has mags and tubeless tires. Right after I got a new rear tire installed, I picked up a nail right dead in the center. I was lucky though, when I pulled it out, it was barely into the top of the tread and had not come close to penetrating the tire...even so, before I pulled it out I thought about how safe it would be just plugging the tire and riding on and not replace it. I even got one of those emergency repair kits with the inflation kit for the next time...

My thoughts are that tires for my SG are pretty cheap, a lot cheaper than the Michelin's on my F-150 anyway. If that nail had penetrated my tire and it went flat on the road, I would plug it in a heartbeat and get home then replace it. Motorcycle only got 2 tires and we don't carry spares so having one blow on me or a plug let go when I am riding hard out in the boonies is not a happy thought...new tire, peace of mind when it counts most. But, that's just me...

Last edited by skinman13; 10-07-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 762 Likes on 528 Posts

In '05 I picked up a nail in the back tire on a BMW I had and we were at Alice's Restaurant (we were there for the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca) and a fellow rider had a plug kit and plugged it up.

Next day at the race my buddy had bought us tickets to take a lap on the course before the big race that day. Although they had cops in the front and back of the large group we were still able to get on it a little and drag some pegs in some corners and I even slowed down enough out of traffic to pull of few wheelies (I got a chubby back then wheelying the bike-K1200RS-Zebra) just being a good old-fashioned hooligan (Still get a chubby wheeling )

I can't remember even being too worried about the plug, it was in a brand new Metzler, it was a great tire. It never showed any problem.

Next day loaded up the bike, saddle bags, tank bag, zipping along the freeway, probably hadn't even made it 30 miles, approaching a left hand curve, back end went out, felt like it was made of butter melting underneath me. Fortunately, I am an incredibly gifted rider and me and only a handful of men on the planet could pull off such a feat of getting off to the shoulder in traffic without laying it down, and a damn fine bike it was

A CHP showed up, called me a tow, fortunately found a bike shop with a tire and after an exhausting day finally made it back to Ft. Irwin late in the evening.

I have a plug kit, carry it in my saddle bag. I would only rely on it to get me out of a pinch and I would treat it like a traitor I wouldn't turn my back on.

You all have your stories of plugs, that's great, more power to ya, I'm sticking with mine

Old 10-08-2015, 01:51 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
If the tread is more than 50% worn, I'd replace it.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:32 PM
canadayman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok thanks guys for the replies and after getting her home and letting it sit for a few days because while i was waiting for the tow my bike decided after about an hour it was sick of waiting and fell over luckily i had my helmet o the bars and it took the impact how ever it put a 7 inch scratch in the tank wow was i ticked picked it up.

and the tire blew out from an object in the road and is not repairable and so will be replacing it soon