Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:09 AM
FatBobMark
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear shocks?

I have a 2014 Fat Bob and have already done the Ricor Intiminators in the front with Amsoil 10w oil. I am looking to upgrade the rear and have narrowed it down to Ricor or Hagon Nitro stainless steel. My question is anyone using the Hagon shocks and are they as good or better than the Ricor? I only want to buy them once and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Mark

Old 09-22-2015, 10:50 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,727 Likes on 1,407 Posts

I've never experienced Ricor's but do have Hagon Nitros. I have no complaints on the shocks. Definitely an improvement over stock. I went 13", 1" longer than stock". I've never bottomed out with the Nitro's. Bump absorbtion is much better and the bike feels more planted. I dialed down the dampener by 1 click, and it's perfect. I was considering the base model Ohlins, but wanted adjustment capability. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the actual ride is better on the Ohlins, however, I'd rather have the ability to dial in the settings on my own vs. be stuck with the shocks how they come.

Last edited by rauchman; 09-22-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I have Hagon Nitros on my 2014 FXDF and couldn't be happier. They are an excellent shock and the ride is greatly improved. No bottoming out, really nice and smooth action.

I also went for 13" to get the "correct" amount of rear suspension travel.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:41 PM
CornbredNE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rauchman
I've never experienced Ricor's but do have Hagon Nitros. I have no complaints on the shocks. Definitely an improvement over stock. I went 13", 1" longer than stock". I've never bottomed out with the Nitro's. Bump absorbtion is much better and the bike feels more planted. I dialed down the dampener by 1 click, and it's perfect. I was considering the base model Ohlins, but wanted adjustment capability. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the actual ride is better on the Ohlins, however, I'd rather have the ability to dial in the settings on my own vs. be stuck with the shocks how they come.
I like the look and cost on the Hagon's, but their website and lack of answering their phone line during normal business hours leave room for improvement.

Did you go to a heavier spring rate or is there a standard spring rate?

Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 PM
big ron
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Ohlins S36PL. They are an inch longer and have 3 7/8" travel. They do not have compression and rebound adjustment. They are fantastic and I am not sure I would spend the money to get the adjustable shocks. I have a sport bike and dirt bike background but this bike is neither and just not sure I need it for this application. They absorb the small bumps to the point that you don't notice them at all and do a fantastic job soaking up the big bumps as well. The bike handles much better than stock in the curves as there is no longer any jarring or harsh hits while in a lean from road imperfections. I cant remember what I paid but I got them from Howard at Motorcycle Metal.

Attached Thumbnails Rear shocks?-img_2642.jpg  
Old 09-22-2015, 09:25 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBobMark
I have a 2014 Fat Bob and have already done the Ricor Intiminators in the front with Amsoil 10w oil. I am looking to upgrade the rear and have narrowed it down to Ricor or Hagon Nitro stainless steel. My question is anyone using the Hagon shocks and are they as good or better than the Ricor? I only want to buy them once and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Mark
how do you like the intiminators? I put a set in my low rider, not that impressed with them or ricor's customer support. am wishing would have gone with the progressive cartridge kit.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:29 PM
FatBobMark
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
how do you like the intiminators? I put a set in my low rider, not that impressed with them or ricor's customer support. am wishing would have gone with the progressive cartridge kit.
The Intiminators are awesome! Totally took the dive out of my front end. What shock oil did you use? What don't you like about the intiminators?

Their customer support depends on how busy they are in the shop. It's a 2-3 man shop. I actually got them on the phone today to discuss a custom color powder coated spring. I would not buy anything progressive you would be more disappointed with their products. Me and 3 of my good friends have fat bobs with the intiminators in our front ends and all of us are more than happy.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by CornbredNE
I like the look and cost on the Hagon's, but their website and lack of answering their phone line during normal business hours leave room for improvement.

Did you go to a heavier spring rate or is there a standard spring rate?

I got my Nitro's through Dave Quinn in CT. Excellent guy who works with you to get the optimal spring rate. Shocks took about a month to get from the time of order.

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/

Old 09-23-2015, 09:01 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by big ron
I have the Ohlins S36PL. They are an inch longer and have 3 7/8" travel. They do not have compression and rebound adjustment. They are fantastic and I am not sure I would spend the money to get the adjustable shocks. I have a sport bike and dirt bike background but this bike is neither and just not sure I need it for this application. They absorb the small bumps to the point that you don't notice them at all and do a fantastic job soaking up the big bumps as well. The bike handles much better than stock in the curves as there is no longer any jarring or harsh hits while in a lean from road imperfections. I cant remember what I paid but I got them from Howard at Motorcycle Metal.
Your shocks have the piggy back reservoir, but don't have compression/rebound? I understand the piggy back rez allows for longer travel within the shock. I'd be very curious to know what was paid for those shocks. Hmmmm.....Ohlins very curious!

Old 09-23-2015, 04:52 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBobMark

Thanks in advance Mark
i love the intiminators, they changed the ride and braking on my 06 drastically. I am thinking of putting them in my current bike.

i had the ricor sport tuned 12.5 rears on my 06 and the bike was planted on the highway and in the twists it was great, but i found them pretty harsh on washboard and small bumps. Very stable, but harsh on the small stuff. I blew the seals twice and had to have them rebuilt. they did it for free but it was a major inconvenance. I dont think i will buy the rears again.

never tried hagon

Quick Reply: Rear shocks?