Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna floorboard kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015 | 08:43 PM
CJeep
|
Road Captain
Default Dyna floorboard kit questions

So I have read the threads, used the search, and think I have seen all there is to see here about the old FXDP floorboards, and the currently availible kit from HD.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-footboard-kit

I don't want mini floorboards, or single point boards that attach to the peg mount.

What I really want to know is, now the some of you have had the boards for a little while, do you still like them? Is there enough leg room for a taller rider?

I'm 6'3" and currently have further forwards on my bike. I test rode a Road King a few weeks ago, and while the leg room was lacking (no way could I ride like that all the time), I really liked the boards, and having my feet more under me. Right now, all my weight is on my ****, and the sundowner does fine, but I'm starting to think a would feel more in control with my feet a little flatter and a little more under me.

Lately, I tend to move my feet around more than I used to, and always a bit closer to me, like the ***** of my feet on the pegs. I play with lifting my heels, and think I would fit and like it. I think I'd like my feet a little flatter. But only if the boards are still far enough forward, but of course less than my current forwards. Of course flat feet is a big change too.

From the looks of the kit and on the bike pics, it looks like they are pretty forward, and I might like them where they put my feet, but I don't want to spend over $300 to find out.

So please, if you got the HD boards, chime in, and if you are tall, let me know as well.

Thanks

Old 09-21-2015 | 11:10 PM
ChromeBlows
Cruiser

I'de like to know if anybody with floorboards got a heal shift to work on em,for me that would make up my mind!

Old 09-22-2015 | 03:42 AM
Julia's Dad
Advanced

I am very biased towards floorboards. By far the best mod I have done. But I am only 5'10 with a 32' inseam. So I cannot imagine how taller guys would find them. I find myself often riding with my heels on the boards and my toes pointing sideways. Quite forward on the boards. Much more this way than flat-footed.

I bought Switchback takeoffs from ebay. The brake rod had to be straightened in a local fabricator. Additional cost 20$. Otherwise straight fit with standard headpipes. Just on the weekend i changed to half-moon ones. Love them.

I have thought about the heel-toe thing but so far I don't feel the need. Very comfortable with the toe shifter. Heel shifter will need to be just right in order not to take space from the board.

Sorry for not being able to help more.

Old 09-22-2015 | 04:12 AM
cutter4292
Cruiser

I put a set of Wyatt floorboards on my FXD 3 years ago and there is no way I would go back to pegs. They are that much nicer.

Last edited by cutter4292; 09-22-2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2015 | 05:05 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

I've only experienced floorboards on demo rides so admittedly haven't given them a fair chance. Still, to me, they feel like I'm trying to step dance with buckets on my feet.

Pegs & heel-toe shifter angled to my liking, thats what feels natural for me.

Old 09-22-2015 | 06:24 AM
203Cree
Road Master

I love mine. Had em on since new. I'll never go back. You won't regret them.

Old 09-22-2015 | 06:30 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

CJeep. You also have to take into consideration if the footboards will fit with your current exhaust. Some exhausts systems are to low and need modifications.

Old 09-22-2015 | 07:17 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior

The largest gain from footboards (motorcycles don't have floorboards) is that there is so much surface area for your boots to grip, that you can relax your legs while riding.

The FXDP or Wyatt kit sets the boards up quite a bit higher than the FLD setup. At 6'3" (as I am) you will not like that as much as the FLD kit.

Riding a Road King to test footboards only gets a partial answer. All Electra-Glides (I have an Ultra Classic also) are much tighter for the driver to give the passenger as much room as possible. There will be more room on the Dyna for you, footboards or pegs.

Whatever vibrations you may be getting through the pegs at certain RPMs will go away with the shaker style footboards.

Old 09-22-2015 | 08:50 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

I have been running footboards for about 5 months now. Did a trip this summer that consisted of 5000 miles total in two weeks. The footboards where awesome to say the least compaired to the forwards I had. The only thing I wish I had during the trip was some highway pegs on the engine guard just so I could move my feet and stretch out some. I recommend footboards all day long.

Also, for ChromeBlows, I purchased a softail heel/toe inside lever and put it in a press and straightened it out. Doing this allowed me to install it and just clear the primary case by about a quarter inch. I used the old forward control shift lever as the heel lever and the footboard on as my toe lever. I would like to find a longer heel lever that would hang off the back of the footboard so I can use all of the board. The extended levers I have found are the same lenght as the one I have, so it will most likely need to be custom made.

The lever after it was straightened out.

Last edited by blueangel73; 09-22-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2015 | 10:44 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a Dyna because I like the way it handles, I don't like dragging floorboards on corners.
But heel support is a big deal
Here's some options to confuse you, I went with the switchblades and I'm very happy with'm.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/623/switchblade-pegs
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/587...82peg-stirrups
These are not the only options, but check out some kind of stirrup set-up before you dump $$$

Quick Reply: Dyna floorboard kit questions