Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Progressive Shocks Make a Sportster Ride Like a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 AM
badbs101
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Progressive Shocks Make a Sportster Ride Like a Dyna?

I rented a Street Bob yesterday and although I liked it, I really like my Sporty too. The main problem I have with Sportster is the suspension. Although it is great for handling, it feels like a hardtail compared to the Dyna when going over bumps. At the end of the day, I am beat up from riding my Sportster. I don't want to get the Progressive shocks if I will end up wanting the Dyna in the end.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-04-2007, 01:29 AM
98fxd
Tourer
Default RE: Can Progressive Shocks Make a Sportster Ride Like a Dyna?

its more the geometry of the frame and swing arm as well as the height and riding position. you can put whatever shocks you'd likeon it...but it will still ride like a sportster... sorry brutha. my advice is to ride the sporty for awhile. the markets floooooooooded with them, andthey are low resale bikes for harley's as it is. get a couple years on it, toughen up the muscles, sell it when it paid for itself in joy (and pain) and then upgrade to big twin.... just my thoughts.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:47 AM
kpreese
Road Captain

I believethe biggest issue is the lighter weight. But thatoffers plenty of pros along with a few cons. It's a preference thing really. I miss my Sporty sometimes, but I DO NOT miss it ever when riding 2up and my wife is small. If money were no object, I'd have both. But the Dyna is more versatile and for me was the better choice since I can only have one.

A softer shock would mimic the Dyna ride to a certain degree. Check the preload on your rear shocks, maybe they are a little too stiff. I put Progressives on both my Sportster and my Dyna but I went with the shortest I could get both times. So I don't know if standard length ones will offer a less jarring ride or not. Certainly the shorter ones are much firmer.

Kevin

Old 05-04-2007, 02:12 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I had progressive front springs and custom made Works shocks on my '04 1200 Custom. It made one hell of a difference, but it will never ride like a Dyna. Never. Take it from me, I tried, I spent the money. If you want comfort, get a Dyna.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:47 AM
dailydriver
Road Captain

Shocks will be a step in the right direction...It will never handle like a big twin..It just doesn't have the correct geometry...but, there is no reason you can't have the best handling sporty....Problem is how much money do you want to spend...Do you plan on having this scooter for awhile? If your doing it for you and you love this bike and plan on riding the tires off...Go all out otherwise ride it and take notes on what you want your next bike to be...Later