Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a Dyna Ride and Handle Better Than a Softail?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:32 PM
99superglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does a Dyna Ride and Handle Better Than a Softail?

I tried a softail standard and thought that it felt top heavy and tippy at low speeds. I love the way my Superglide handles, almost feels as though you could completely stop, even riding 2-up, and not have to put a foot down. And it is by far alot more fun on twisty roads.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:24 AM
nidan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I"m on my second Dyna , have put 30,000 miles on them , have riden every softail made.

In normal riding I don't findthe handling of the non -200 tired ones to be that different. A little cushier.

The fatties are a bit more sluggish to get into a turn, but have great straight line traction . Suspension wise , 2 up is better on the dyna's IMHO.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

The Dyna's do handle better than the Softail.

However, the FXR handled better than the Dyna. I really wish they continued manufacturing the FXR.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Jake88
Tourer

You gottan ask yourself a question? Do you want better handling, but a constant vibration during idling? Then you want a Dyna. If you want a smoother motor but rougher ride, then get the Softail. NOt to say that the Dyna is not a smooth motor, but it has the rubber mounts that make it vibrate. But hands down, the Dyna handles better!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:17 AM
West_Tn_Biker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned bothe the softail and the Wide Glide Had a 03 Screamin Eagle Duce that after 1500 miles got rid of it and went back to the Wide Glide. So much more comfortable and the Wide Glide just felt better in the twisties and on longer runs. Just my opion
Gill

[IMG]local://upfiles/29386/B07B5928E2204347A4B573BEB054272A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 AM
Gidz
Advanced

I tried both before I went for the Bob. I had a demo on a Night train and liked it because it was so smooth and felt lazy and relaxed after my '04 Superglide Sport. But I did feel that because of the rake of the forks and the sheer size of the thing I was guiding it not riding it. The Bob on the other hand was more flickable(relatively) and I just felt at home on it. More vibration but could cope with twisties much better and as that is important to me I went for it in the end...still think about that Night train sometimes...

[hr]

Old 05-08-2007, 01:15 PM
ad2
Cruiser

At ROT last year we were heading down to Shiner and an 18 wheeler jumped out in front of me. I was on my WG going close to 70 at the time, there was no way I was not going to crash into the side of that thing, but I got down on both brakes as hard as I could, fished tailed to the point that the bike should have snapped in two, somehow stayed upright and missed the truck (still not sure how). I never felt like I was not in control of the bike.

Later in the year I was in Palm Springs and rented a Fat Boy for the day to ride up into the mountains. It felt okay, but kind of heavy. Did not feel as secure in the twisties as my WG. At the end of the day I was about to go through an intersection when the light changed. Without thinking I hit the brakes - at a realitively slow speed - and the feeling scared the crap out of me.

Just 1 person's opinion, but I'm sticking with the Dyna.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:13 PM
coyoties
Cruiser

If your comparing Dyna to FX handling goes to the Dyna, the ride was close to me. If your talkingFL versus Dyna handling goes to Dyna, ride goes to FL, and I say that because I'm big fat boy.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
av8r
Cruiser

Lots of good opinions here, but the best advice is probably try before you buy as much as you can. Everbody is different and you need to feel what's right for you. I test rode several bikes before buying my 2008 Softail Custom. I would have liked to have longer test rides but there were no rentals in my area at the time. The rides were short and all on the same route. It wasn't a good test for handling but it was for comfort which was the main thing I was looking for. I've been on too many bikes that hurt my rear end and spoiled the ride. I rode the Wide Glide, the Street Bob, the Super Glide Custom and the Softail Custom. All except the Super Glide were very close in comfort and smoothness. The road that the test ridewas on was a little bumpy in places and I felt every one of them on the Super Glide. I was very surprised how much rougher it was than the other Dynas. But in the end (pun I guess), the Softail Custom's big cushy seat (and a few other things) won me over. I know you can put other seats on and add backrests, etc. But the FXSTC already had those for no extra cost, plus that wide rear tire looked really good.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are going to put your money and the seat of your pants on the line....try to rent or at least test ride both. Only you can decide what handles and feels best for you. The Dyna line felt better to me and fit my riding style. To each his own. That's why we have choices. The only way you can decide is to ride them both. [sm=biker.gif]

Quick Reply: Does a Dyna Ride and Handle Better Than a Softail?