Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Bedore
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2015 Low Rider

Hey guys,

Going to be looking at trading into an amber whiskey 2015 Low Rider this weekend. It will be my first big twin, I have only owned 2 Sportsters. I tend to like to ride a bit aggressively but nothing too crazy. How will the FXDL compare to the Sportster in that respect? And how is the stock suspension? Hate having to buy a bike and immediately upgrade the suspension. I am going to try and test ride it before I buy it but I am thinking I will be riding home on it.

Also, does anyone have any input as to a good slip on? It has the 2-in-1 system so I would only need the 1 slip on, but this is uncharted territory for me. Not too loud, but enough so people can hear me.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Bedore
Hey guys,

Going to be looking at trading into an amber whiskey 2015 Low Rider this weekend. It will be my first big twin, I have only owned 2 Sportsters. I tend to like to ride a bit aggressively but nothing too crazy. How will the FXDL compare to the Sportster in that respect? And how is the stock suspension? Hate having to buy a bike and immediately upgrade the suspension. I am going to try and test ride it before I buy it but I am thinking I will be riding home on it.

Also, does anyone have any input as to a good slip on? It has the 2-in-1 system so I would only need the 1 slip on, but this is uncharted territory for me. Not too loud, but enough so people can hear me.
Depends on your weight. If you're in the 185 avg range HD designed the suspension for, you should be ok (not saying even there there aren't major improvements out there) for a while. Never had a sporty so I can't speak to the comparison. Re: slip on. You will eventually lose the stock head pipes, so save your money on the slip on and get a full system. The cat is in the head pipes, so no slip on is going to make that much difference. A little louder maybe, but that's about it. I went with three different pipes (including stock) before I ended up with the supertrapp 2:1 I currently have, and love. Louder, but not too loud, and can be louder still if I swap to an open end. Great pipe.

You will likely get to a tuner and a stage 1, and a good exhaust is the right place to start...

Old 09-08-2015, 10:13 PM
USAFANGWINGNUT67
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cat is in the head pipes, so no slip on is going to make that much difference. A little louder maybe, but that's about it.
Not what I wanted to hear. So I see a full exhaust is going to be a must and most expensive route.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:23 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

Not so on a full system, I sent my header off on an exchange to a shop in Daytona area. They cut the cats out and give u headers back. With core exchange it is like $75 including shipping. Then I installed the V&H slip on muffler from Fuel Moto for $250 and was done. Saved a couple hundred bucks.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:25 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAWICKI SPEED!

Good luck on the new bike. It is the best bike in MoCo's current lineup.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:30 PM
USAFANGWINGNUT67
Tourer

Originally Posted by tully_mars
Not so on a full system, I sent my header off on an exchange to a shop in Daytona area. They cut the cats out and give u headers back. With core exchange it is like $75 including shipping. Then I installed the V&H slip on muffler from Fuel Moto for $250 and was done. Saved a couple hundred bucks.
Now that's an idea I could live with. So all is not lost then.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:36 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by USAFANGWINGNUT67
Now that's an idea I could live with. So all is not lost then.
Not at all. They will advance ship you a decatted head pipe, and you can send urs back with a pickup tag already in it. Can't beat the deal. They will refund $50 when they receive your pipe.

Check out Wild Pig Pipes on ebay

Me and a few guys have used them, good folks. If you can't find what you are lookibg for send them a message.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:37 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wild Pig does good work for sure. But still....

SAWICKI SPEED!

Old 09-09-2015, 01:09 AM
NealE
Cruiser

I have a 2014 Low Rider and I have just had the V&H Slip-on (Part Number 16801) fitted along with a Heavy Breather air intake and PV2. I haven't bothered with the cats yet but now it sounds like a Harley should without being too loud and will stay that way for a while yet.

The exhaust is very much a personal choice and depends on how loud you want it. I had V&H Shortshots on my Sportster Iron and they were too loud so this gives me what I want.

Regarding swapping from Sporty to Dyna. It takes a while but merely a confidence thing. I was concerned when I first bought mine about lean angles, etc. but having kept pace with a metric Yamaha FZ6N through the windy roads of Wales during the summer I think it fair to say it exceeds the Sporty in all areas.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 AM
NealE
Cruiser

Just in case you want to see the slip-on, here is mine, together with Heavy Breather. The slip-on was originally made for the Switchback but now advertised as being for the Low Rider too.

Quick Reply: 2015 Low Rider