Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little help with tires please

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:59 AM
Rollcrusher
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help with tires please

Im looking for the best tire for my riding style and climate. West Texas area, 100 degrees plus most of my riding season. Ride in the rain couple times a year. Im not a agressive rider, mostly straight and flat riding. I do go with the flow on the highways.....70 to 90 mph. I do ride all year just not in the snow or ice.

Not wanting to start a great debate on which brand is the best or anything like that. Just which tires are gonna be best suited to me. Not sure which tires are gonna be a good middle ground for grip and tire life.

Seems that the Night Dragons and Cobras are gonna be fairly easy to get in OEM sizes. Considering the 150 front and 200 rear swap as well. So far the Cobras seem to be pulling me in that direction either way i go.

Coming up on 9K on the Dunlops. Getting sidewall cracks on the rear and just a little tread wear left.

Whoops, 2013 Fat bob.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rollcrusher; 09-07-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:15 AM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser

Metzeler 888 or Michelin Commanders. Only tires I'll touch.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:30 AM
Rollcrusher
Advanced

Fair enough.....

I only have experience with the Dunlops. I cant complain about them, feel like i got a good run out of them. Never gave me any problems.

Biggest obstical for me is not going through my local HD, so now i have to do all the leg work......

Old 09-07-2015, 02:38 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive run with the michelin scorchers and dunlop k597 and have only gotten 7.5k & 8.5k out of them (rear). Im running michelin commander I I on both ends now and hoping for more mile. Ive heard a lot of good things about them but only have about 500 miles on mine so far

Old 09-07-2015, 09:06 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Always a tuff question because all the tires available are made/designed to compete with each other in the market. Truth is anyone getting "new" tires will feel good with them no matter what tire it is.

I ride my SuperGlide a little aggressively in the corners,, I wanted grippy tires without a big concern for high mileage and went with Night Dragons front and rear,, a little larger then stock, 110/90 up front and 180/60 in back.
I'm Very Happy.

$110-150 for a tire and $20 for mounting at an indy is not an overwhelming cost to me (I'm not a rich man, but tires are part of maintaining a bike).
Do check out Dennis Kirk for tires, great price for current manufacture tires and super fast shipping.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:01 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollcrusher
Im looking for the best tire for my riding style and climate. West Texas area, 100 degrees plus most of my riding season. Ride in the rain couple times a year. Im not a agressive rider, mostly straight and flat riding. I do go with the flow on the highways.....70 to 90 mph. I do ride all year just not in the snow or ice.

Not wanting to start a great debate on which brand is the best or anything like that. Just which tires are gonna be best suited to me. Not sure which tires are gonna be a good middle ground for grip and tire life.

Seems that the Night Dragons and Cobras are gonna be fairly easy to get in OEM sizes. Considering the 150 front and 200 rear swap as well. So far the Cobras seem to be pulling me in that direction either way i go.

Coming up on 9K on the Dunlops. Getting sidewall cracks on the rear and just a little tread wear left.

Whoops, 2013 Fat bob.

Thanks.
I ran a set of avon Cobras on my wg and they worked fine except the rear wore out in 6500 miles. I am still running the 90x90x21, third one,on the front, but went back to the oem on the rear and get 8500 on it. Next set will be the American elites all around. Will see how well they hold up. Because I'm an old fart now, I'm looking for longevity over pure traction. Hope that helps in making your decision. Note: there is a Shinko on the front of my recently acquired bagger and it still has good tread but is cupped out like crazy-- new American elites on the way for it right now.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:30 PM
Rollcrusher
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnMn
Always a tuff question because all the tires available are made/designed to compete with each other in the market. Truth is anyone getting "new" tires will feel good with them no matter what tire it is.

I ride my SuperGlide a little aggressively in the corners,, I wanted grippy tires without a big concern for high mileage and went with Night Dragons front and rear,, a little larger then stock, 110/90 up front and 180/60 in back.
I'm Very Happy.

$110-150 for a tire and $20 for mounting at an indy is not an overwhelming cost to me (I'm not a rich man, but tires are part of maintaining a bike).
Do check out Dennis Kirk for tires, great price for current manufacture tires and super fast shipping.

Thanks......

I may have to eat a little crow and see what the indy can do. Kinda made an *** out of myself on last visit. All my bad though.....didnt read the fine print. May take this oppertunity to patch things up.

See what price they give me and go from there. I agree its all gonna be pretty close sticking with one of the top 4.

Thanks again. 👍👍😎

Old 09-08-2015, 02:55 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Usually I would say stay away from Dunlops. But given you ride mostly flat and straight with little rain, then would think the Dunlops are ideal for you. They are hard and last the longest, just not much grip which isnt a problem in your area.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 AM
XKHemi
Advanced

I did get 15k on the stock 2008 FatBob tractor tires but will not buy those, ever. I have ran two Metzlers and the front lasted about 10k and the rears lasted about 5k or 6k miles. I currently have the Dunslop American Elites and have damn near 15k on the with tread to spare. I live in North Dakota so not a lot of curves, just long straight roads at 80mph. The American Elites have done ok. I prolly will get them again. Since I usually get about 5k to 8k miles a year on my bike, they lasted me two seasons. I have taken my bike down to the Black Hills and the seemed to do fine when I cranked up the speed on the curves the Hills has to offer. I have road in the rain many of times and American Elites do nothing scary.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:36 AM
altarip55
Intermediate

I have about 8,000 miles on a set of Commander II's and they look almost new. They are fantastic in the rain, have decent grip, feel great at 80-90 mph, and last a hell of a lot longer than Dunlops. Only tire for me.

Quick Reply: Need a little help with tires please