Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today's PSA - change your primary and trans oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:04 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Today's PSA - change your primary and trans oil

I just came to 5,000 miles on my bob and planned to change all the fluids. I check the manual and it says the primary and trans aren't due until 10,000 miles.

Well for piece of mind I decided to do it anyway. Keep in mind it was changed at 1,000 miles by the dealer to syn 3. That stuff looked terrible coming out. It looked thin and dirty, I'm glad I changed it. I don't think I am a fan of any of the harley syn oils. I can't imagine what it would have looked like at 10,000 miles.

I'm not wanting to start an oil thread, but I went with redline trans and primary oil. It shifts better and is quieter, with less clunk and while running. Both good in my book.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Completely concur, I've never agreed with or followed HD's recommended change intervals or their one fluid for all 3 holes approach. When I do the fluids I always change all 3 holes, typically every 2500 miles. Overkill? Of course Does it make me happy? Yep...

I did all 3 holes again this past Sunday, I went to ATF in the primary and so far, I'm really liking the improvement, butter smooth shifting and the friction zone has a much better feel... the quest for the perfect fluids always continues

Old 09-01-2015, 09:42 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

^^^^ This...

Old 09-01-2015, 09:58 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

I change all three at five thousand miles using Mobile 1 V-twin, and that is over kill for the transmission anyway. However, I'd say for the engine and primary not so much.

I run Mobile 1 for its availability and I know guys who run it in their air cooled piston aircraft engines with excellent results.

Just because an oil cost more does not mean it's better. Also changing from one oil to another could lead to different additives you don't want together.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with HD's intervals ESPECIALLY living in AZ. Heat kills oil. I change motor and primary every 2500 miles. I do the trans every 5k. I'll leave the brand of oil out for argument sake. I can certainly feel the difference when the primary is and is not changed and it's only another 11 bucks. Probably overkill. Rather take care of machine too much than not enough though.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:50 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Completely concur, I've never agreed with or followed HD's recommended change intervals or their one fluid for all 3 holes approach. When I do the fluids I always change all 3 holes, typically every 2500 miles. Overkill? Of course Does it make me happy? Yep...

I did all 3 holes again this past Sunday, I went to ATF in the primary and so far, I'm really liking the improvement, butter smooth shifting and the friction zone has a much better feel... the quest for the perfect fluids always continues
I pulled a sample of my motor oil to send to blackstone, but I haven't sent it off yet. It had about 3,000 miles on it.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:23 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by wilddave
I pulled a sample of my motor oil to send to blackstone, but I haven't sent it off yet. It had about 3,000 miles on it.

When you've got the results back please post them, I'd be very curious what they have to say. And Jesse_81 is spot on, heat kills oil; even after I've added a Jagg oil cooler I'm not changing the frequency I change fluids, fresh lube is cheap insurance and changing it out is great bonding time with the bike

Old 09-01-2015, 12:51 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Since wilddave started a PSA thread I just want to add, I took off at lunch and just came back from a 40 mile ride in some twisties. I'm completely impressed with the ATF in the primary. I've always been a bit fanatical about keeping the clutch pack and clutch cable in adjustment and my '13 Wide Glide has always shifted very smooth and nice.

I use the 2 finger clutch upshift/rev-match downshift technique and the ATF has added a whole new level of smooth, it's like riding my R1 now, seamless. I'm sold... not sure how the cheesy HD compensator will like the ATF, some have posted they believe their compensator problems were related to using ATF but I doubt it, that compensator is substandard at best and fails no matter what fluid you use but that junk is getting changed out for a Baker compensator and Attitude manual primary chain adjuster this winter.

If you want to see just how smooth your bike really can shift try some ATF, I used the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 09-01-2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typoville!
Old 09-01-2015, 05:29 PM
charger426
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATF really isn't designed for our primaries but hey as always to each their own. You bought your bike so you do with it what you want . Some food for thought, especially those in hotter climates or are in a lot or traffic where high temps are common. Of course this vid is also posted my Chrome City Oil page for anyone interested.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mobil One V-twin in all 3 holes every 5,000 miles. Simple, effective, and no MLM promotional video watching required.

Quick Reply: Today's PSA - change your primary and trans oil