Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:28 PM
jeffbetrollin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vibration at highway speed

I kno, I know. Another vibration question. But I have searched and haven't been able to narrow it down

When doing 65-80mph if I let off the throttle it gets a small vibration , if I pull the clutch it will stop. The only thing that sounds simular to this from what I've read would be a motor mount. But with only 13k miles I can't se the motor mount failing. When I let go of the bars completely at speed there is no shimmy or wobbling of the bars. Bike has alway slightly tracked to the left if I go no handed but the vibration is new though. Any idea?

Old 08-23-2015, 12:02 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

You know how incompetent techs frequently tell you: "They all do that"? This is one of those times where it's accurate.

The Super Glide in my post is a '14 that has 14,000 miles on it. It has exhibited that resonance at around 2,500-2,600 rpm since it was new. It has to do with the types of motor mounts and their placement, not whether or not they've failed. I did, however, buy this new piece of equipment just this week, and the motor is now completely smooth, with no trace of vibration at highway speeds:

Old 08-23-2015, 12:55 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You running above 2,300 rpm's.
i have 2 dyna bikes. Our wide glide has a lot if not in the right gear. 6th on or above 75mph. Super glide with hands off got to stay above 2,300 or it has it. Unless it is rather noticeable there probably not a problem. You oght to see my left handle bar when tbe flrt is idling

Old 08-23-2015, 06:50 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbetrollin
I kno, I know. Another vibration question. But I have searched and haven't been able to narrow it down

When doing 65-80mph if I let off the throttle it gets a small vibration , if I pull the clutch it will stop. The only thing that sounds simular to this from what I've read would be a motor mount. But with only 13k miles I can't se the motor mount failing. When I let go of the bars completely at speed there is no shimmy or wobbling of the bars. Bike has alway slightly tracked to the left if I go no handed but the vibration is new though. Any idea?

The front isolator on my '13 Wide Glide was installed under such stress it had distorted and failed before the bike was even off the dealer's floor. I always avoid the dealer and their 'they all do that' mantra; I replaced the front isolator, performed the vehicle/engine alignment and needed to shim out the front isolator but vibrations were non-existent afterwards; this bike is almost too civilized

I would inspect your front isolator, there's really no set number of miles before they begin to fail...

Old 08-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 14 Fat Bob and my fingers go numb after about 10 min of riding at highway speeds. So numb in fact that I can't feel the directional buttons when I press them with my thumb. Dealer said "It's normal"

Old 08-23-2015, 09:56 AM
charger426
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted up about this a few months ago when I first bought my Super Glide. I have a 05 Ultra and traded a 08 Sportster in on the Dyna. The Dyna is the only one that has this vibration problem. Turns out the front motor mount is the issue. I looked at my front mount and the rubber had ballooned to where it was basically a solid mount. So I cut the top of the rubber balloon off so it wouldn't touch the top metal part that bolts to the motor and it help quite a bit. The next thing I want to do is what TinCup talked about and thats unbolting the mount from the frame and shimming it to where it settles. If that doesn't fix everything I'm looking at a new Vibra-Tech mount.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:02 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Additional point: While the vibration was at its worst right around 65-70, at 80+ it was as smooth as could be.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:04 AM
charger426
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah same here. Seems to be whenever I'm about 10x the gear I'm in (10mph in 1st, 20 in 2nd, etc.) but a few MPH past that it smoothed out.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:20 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubline
I have a 14 Fat Bob and my fingers go numb after about 10 min of riding at highway speeds. So numb in fact that I can't feel the directional buttons when I press them with my thumb. Dealer said "It's normal"
I had that problem also until I gained more confidence in the bike and my skills with the controls and eased up on the death grip that was causing my numbness and fatigue...adding a throttle boss helped me ease up on my throttle grip on those longer rides also...

Having come from older in-line metrics, the Harley vibration took making some adjustments and just getting used to. At first, I could not focus on anything when I was sitting on it at idle but I acclimated to that and my left handle bar controls and mirror do a pretty good shake-dance at idle, but you get used to that eventually also...just part of the Harley Davidson ride experience...

Last edited by skinman13; 08-23-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:41 AM
jeffbetrollin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This vibration is new. It wasn't there when I got it. Of course a harley will have vibration, that is normal. But this is a new one to me I recently installed a crash bar up front thinking maybe it stiffened up the bike and maybe that's causing it?

Quick Reply: vibration at highway speed