Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna for track days?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 01:12 PM
MMH
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Dyna for track days?

How would a Dyna do on the track? I obviously would not expect it to keep up with a sportsbike, just something to have fun on as well as improve my riding skills. How would a Dyna compare to a Sportster?

Obviously an FXDX would be best suited, but what about some of the more current models? Could they be modified to perform similarly?

I do not have have a Dyna and am looking for an all around bike that I could cruise on as well as do track days on. rotors, suspension mods, etc.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:46 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 743 Likes on 411 Posts

I suppose any bike could be set up to handle on a track, and probably be a lot of fun. If you're going modern Dyna, I'd think FatBob probably.

Sporty XR1200? Seems to me like the obvious answer.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:49 PM
kainvamp
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think it would be that fun really. Coming from a sport bike background and owning a fatbob now, I don't think it can be pushed much further than I can push it on regular roads. It's fun trying to take a sport bike to its limits on a track, but a cruiser just isn't meant for it. If you don't already have a dyna, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one and to make it a track bike. You could buy a an old sport bike for under 3 grand and make it a dedicated track bike.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Lennyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 2005 FXDX and there is no way I can call it a sport bike. It is just to heavy. It does handle better then other HD models except for the Sporster I have a 1125CR Buell I am willing to sell.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM
AdamM
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

From the Thug/Club thread

Originally Posted by Puglia10
I did a track day with my DX on wednesday, at Thompson Speedway in CT.

I can't begin to tell you how much fun it was, if you have the opportunity definitely do it!
I started in the slowest group because it went by bike. Quickly lapped everyone so got bumped up to the middle group. Last bike on the track, passed everyone and was the first bike.
Moved up to the fastest group and was the only Harley!

Here are two pics the photographer got.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:57 AM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

And he was smoking "sport" bikes! 20%bike, 80% rider!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts

I was going to post my pictures but someone beat me to it!

ITS THE MOST FUN YOU WILL HAVE. Dont listen to the guys who say theyre big and heavy and it wont be fun. I was running right with KTM, Ducati, BMW, etc. I wasnt the fastest, and the R6's etc were killing me, but I was the only Harley in the top group and surprised everyone, even the instructors. Its more the rider than the bike.

That being said, mine is a DX, and I personally wouldn't buy it with the sole intention of multiple track days. They obviously arent meant for it, so after a while I think it would take its toll on some parts, and you would eventually outride the bike.

I got the bug. I'll do another on my Dyna. But, when I can afford it, Ill grab a dedicated track day to keep my daily bike in one piece, and ride a bike that is better than me. not the other way around. room to grow if you will. You can pick up an SV650 for about 2k (even cheaper without a title as a dedicated track-only bike) and itll crush a DX around the track. Thats my plan eventually.

If you can afford both, do it. But don't be afraid AT ALL to bringing your dyna to a track day (or 2 or 3) and have some fun! who knows, you might surprise yourself like I did! You will definitely learn a lot about you and your bike, and have tons of fun! ITs a win-win. Any more questions feel free to ask, or PM me. Get out there!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,772 Likes on 834 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by XFXDX
And he was smoking "sport" bikes! 20%bike, 80% rider!
Absolutely! Nice job brother. I would frame those pictures and hang them over my fireplace.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

The primary purpose would be for cruising & not track. I would do track days because my 16 year old son just got a SuperMoto & he will want to do track days next year. I would go with him, and, as long as I am there...

I do not have a bike yet & have not riden on the street in 20 years. I really want more of a cruise bike but one that will be OK on the track. I do not care if it's not going to be the fastest, as I will be far from the fastest.

The XR1200 would be a better choice on the track but less so for cruising, or, would it be OK cruising & short out of town trips? Maybe a non-HD such as a BMW R1200R would be a better overall choice. I just want a Harley, but, maybe it is not the bike I need right now.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:28 PM
bignin
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If a softail can?

This guy has been competing in the B.E.A.R.S racing in NZ for years. Looks like he has plenty of fun, doesn't win but doesn't come last either. puts the Sh*t up many a Ducati that's for sure.

Definitely the rider over the bike. Maybe 20% bike, 50% rider, and 30% ***** (or lack of self preservation).