Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Front Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Installing Front Motor Mount

Looks like I am going to be able to install my new Predator mount at the house, thank goodness, I hate going to the hobby shop!

Anyway, looking at the manual it says to "support the motor" with a jack. Does that mean to just brace the jack up underneath the motor, or do I need actually jack up the motor a bit? If so, how far? 1"?

Also manual says bike needs to be upright and level; but Im sure I remember reading that someone just used their jack and a block of wood and got along just fine; thats what my plan is.

Thanks for your input!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:21 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIBgIswjVk
If you ain't got the bike up right on a jack your gonna be messin around alot.
Not sayin it can't be done, but your going to be at it awhile

Last edited by JohnMn; 08-19-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:40 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

When you change motor mounts out or take their bolts out for something like a True Track, you basically do not want the motor to move at all as you do it. So support the motor in a way that hopefully it will not move at all as you remove the old mount. This will be more difficult on the jiffy stand, might want to put some wood blocks under the stand to ge your bike as level as possible without falling over - careful!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:52 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
When you change motor mounts out or take their bolts out for something like a True Track, you basically do not want the motor to move at all as you do it. So support the motor in a way that hopefully it will not move at all as you remove the old mount. This will be more difficult on the jiffy stand, might want to put some wood blocks under the stand to ge your bike as level as possible without falling over - careful!
Thanks bro, that was my plan (Robbyville suggested that earlier also). I am going to try to level it out and then strap it to something solid to secure.

But the question that I still have is; am I actually jacking up the motor or just bracing it with the jack? The video link that was posted in the first reply on the post doesnt clear it up for me (I have seen this video before). He says that he used bottle jack to jack up the motor but he doesnt say how far. Did he actually jack it up?

Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Just put a small amount of pressure on the engine, do not jack it up. You are trying to have that jack in position with just enough pressure that when you pull the bolts out that hold the engine to the mount, the engine does not move and the bolts should unscrew easily.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Just put a small amount of pressure on the engine, do not jack it up. You are trying to have that jack in position with just enough pressure that when you pull the bolts out that hold the engine to the mount, the engine does not move and the bolts should unscrew easily.

Sounds good bro, thanks!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 757 Likes on 523 Posts

I love this stand from HF, http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ock-61670.html.

Use one of their 20% off coupons and how can you go wrong, makes lots of work on the bike too simple. For the money, can't be beat.

Put the bike in it, strap the forks down for good measure, slide a little scissor jack under it and bam, you're done!

Old 08-19-2015, 11:41 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I love this stand from HF, http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ock-61670.html.

Use one of their 20% off coupons and how can you go wrong, makes lots of work on the bike too simple. For the money, can't be beat.

Put the bike in it, strap the forks down for good measure, slide a little scissor jack under it and bam, you're done!
Not a bad deal at all. Only problem is that I am only temporarily staying out here in SoCal. Rent a room at a house and dont have a lot of storage; which is the reason I dont have most of my tools with me and always end up going to the hobby shop to do work.

Thanks for sharing though, I will pick one of those up when I get back home until I splurge for a lift!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:10 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds like you got all the info needed, let us know how you fare!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Just an FYI but my son starts school next Wednesday so if you don't do the install this week and want an extra set of hands let me know and I may be able to ride out there!

Quick Reply: Installing Front Motor Mount