Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear shock

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015 | 09:49 PM
dpoll995
|
Cruiser
Default rear shock

was thinking about getting some burly slammer shocks for my 15 wide glide, but was wondering about a few things. what is the stock size, 12in? how do the slammers handle compared to the stock shocks? will the tire rub on the fender on hard bumps?
im happy with the stock rear shock handling, but i really like how a lowered WG looks. im not sure if it would be a good trade if the slammers handle like crap.

Old 08-18-2015 | 05:43 AM
Odin510
Tourer

I just did the slammer kit (front suspension too). Everyone will agree it's much stiffer. I'm 150 lbs. and I have it on the softest setting. No rubbing or bottoming out. I like the lower center of gravity. The stock suspension was too spongy. Bike stays level when accelerating and braking. It was scary stuff when I first installed, but after more riding it broke in and softened up a little. I love it! Others may comment it's too stiff. Oh yeah, it looks sick lowered, coming from stock height.

Old 08-18-2015 | 12:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

If you're going for looks, cutting out 1" of travel on 12" shocks is going to give you less shock action and they will bottom out sooner, especially if you're riding 2up.
If you want handling, get a quality set of shocks. I tried the 11" Progressives and just kept scraping metal parts when cornering. But I looked like one of the cool kids.
Switched to 12.6" Ohlins and the bike handles like a dream, soaks up bumps but corners like crazy.

Old 08-18-2015 | 11:55 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

I'm running Burly's and I'll let you in on a little secret.....

If you don't want them to bottom out there is a trick.....take the wrench that is included and adjust the preload.

Don't tell anyone else about it though. Just let them think they know what's up so everybody doesn't look cool.

I weigh in at about 3 bucks and mine don't bottom out. Just took a 1380 mile trip with saddle bags and a (huge) tail bag loaded. Only bottomed out once but on that bump I'm pretty sure 13" shocks would have bottomed out.
Do it. Also, send in a pic to Burly of your bike and they'll send you a shirt. If they are still doing that.

Old 08-19-2015 | 07:56 AM
bljones2007
Novice

If you look at my post in the dyna section I put up today titled low rider makeover you'll see what mine looks like with the kit, I only cut a quarter inch off the front spacer vs 3/4 in case of fork bottoming out but I don't think it would if I cut the full length now that I've ridden it and watched the travel. As far as bottoming out none here and I'm 165 and can run it on softest setting. First time I put the kit on I didn't have time for a test ride due to getting to a bike event that night so I put it on the stiffest setting threw my woman on the back she's about 110-115 and I had no issues bottoming out. Also if you look at my post you'll see how I used a Dremel and gave the belt gaurd a clean notch just in case. Stiffer then stock? Yes but not too awful id say I mean they feel a little stiffer and you have to be a little easier in turns buuuuuut it looks great. I wouldn't take mine off my low rider for stock. That's what I'm gonna buy a street glide for haha comfort.

Last edited by bljones2007; 08-19-2015 at 08:02 AM.