Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on dealer screw up...*UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:36 AM
DenimStreet
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Need some advice on dealer screw up...*UPDATE*

I took my Street Bob to the dealer, the same one that did my upgrades. They did an oil change. I was changing to synthetic . They did the work and I rode home, about 22 miles. I hit 90 mpr a couple of time on the way home so I worked the engine pretty good. When I got home there was a fine spray of oil on the front fender where it is close to the engine. I checked the oil and it was way over full. I decided to wait till the next morning and check it while cold. The next morning there was a small pool of oil under the bike toward the front of the engine. The dip stick was showing that the oil level was way over the full mark while cold! Rather than try to drain it through the drain plug I took a clear soft plastic hose that I use to siphon gas and inserted it into the oil reservoir. I extracted 18 ounces of oil until the level was correct. I see no more problem and it runs fine. The best I can tell is that the oil spray came out of the oil filter. I am guessing that the excessive pressure created must have force oil past the gasket. It could have come from somewhere else but where? There is no overflow that I know of,

Do you think there is anything else I should watch for? I don't think it effected the air cleaner at all.

$79 to screw up my bike!!! When I called and told them they said "Sorry"! Thanks a lot!!![:'(]

Any insight would be appreciated. I posted this in General, but I think this is a better place for it.

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:56 AM
JessaC
Intermediate
Default RE: Need some advice on dealer screw up.....

Hi Denim - I had posted about the same thing happening to me back on 3/12/07 (complete with pics of the dipstick) and went to find the thread to point you to... imagine my surprise to find it deleted?? I don't know why the thread was deleted - I did not mention any dealership names. I did express my dissatisfaction with my dealer experience, but not more than anyone else has in these forums... anyway, thanks to the glory of Google cache-ing, you can still check it out if you want. Here's the link:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...cd=3&gl=us

I went back to the dealership armed with my pics and my dissatisfaction - they threw in my "next oil change will be free". We'll see if I decide to do that or not when the time comes....

Good luck with your overfill problem - it's too bad the dealerships don't see these bikes the same way we the owners do...

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:57 AM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

Hay That is Not Bad i am banned from whay was my dealer starting with there screw up pinched rear tube 70 mph blow out fr starters
read broke off brake 06 wide glide

Old 05-02-2007 | 02:02 AM
bikecop40
Tourer

Demand to meet with the owner of the dealership, there is NO excuse for $hity work! I had just about the same thing happpen to me(spark plug blew out of the engine, finger tight after dealer installed) and hit the truck next to me @75mph, the dealer made it right with me after ther sent a tech out with a plug to install. 2 free oil changes, I never went back!!
Just my .02 cents worth
D/C

Old 05-02-2007 | 03:02 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

dStreet - not really trying to tell you what to do, but,

ever consider changin the oil yourownself??

It's a positive experience,
and, it will also save a whole lotta keyboard peckin.

Or, second, since you are askin for advice -

Next time you actually trustsomeone to place their meathooks
on your machine, at the very least, pull the dipstick out
and have a looksee before you lettum slide that plastic thru the cardreader.

mud

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

I took my Street Bob to the dealer, the same one that did my upgrades. They did an oil change. I was changing to synthetic . They did the work and I rode home, about 22 miles. I hit 90 mpr a couple of time on the way home so I worked the engine pretty good. When I got home there was a fine spray of oil on the front fender where it is close to the engine. I checked the oil and it was way over full. I decided to wait till the next morning and check it while cold. The next morning there was a small pool of oil under the bike toward the front of the engine. The dip stick was showing that the oil level was way over the full mark while cold! Rather than try to drain it through the drain plug I took a clear soft plastic hose that I use to siphon gas and inserted it into the oil reservoir. I extracted 18 ounces of oil until the level was correct. I see no more problem and it runs fine. The best I can tell is that the oil spray came out of the oil filter. I am guessing that the excessive pressure created must have force oil past the gasket. It could have come from somewhere else but where? There is no overflow that I know of,

Do you think there is anything else I should watch for? I don't think it effected the air cleaner at all.

$79 to screw up my bike!!! When I called and told them they said "Sorry"! Thanks a lot!!![:'(]

Any insight would be appreciated. I posted this in General, but I think this is a better place for it.

Old 05-02-2007 | 03:12 AM
joetst2
Cruiser

That is really lame. How hard is it for techs to put in the correct amount of oil? It makes you wonder if they really do much of anything for what the scheduled service calls for... such as checking torque on bolts, etc.

Old 05-02-2007 | 06:04 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain

Sorry to hear about your problems. I dont understand how they screw that kind of stuff up. I've yet to change my own oil, but plan to when it's due next. I havent looked at the directions/instructions yet, but it cant be much different than a car. These people are mechanics?? I watched them do the same thing to mine at the 1k service. The tech took it for a ride, then came back and siphoned out some oil. Am I missing something?? Put in a little less than what it calls for, then add to fill. Not a hard concept, at least I dont think so...

Old 05-02-2007 | 06:23 AM
DenimStreet
|
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

dStreet - not really trying to tell you what to do, but,

ever consider changin the oil yourownself??

It's a positive experience,
and, it will also save a whole lotta keyboard peckin.

Or, second, since you are askin for advice -

Next time you actually trustsomeone to place their meathooks
on your machine, at the very least, pull the dipstick out
and have a looksee before you lettum slide that plastic thru the cardreader.

mud

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

Mud, I have changed my own oil on bikes and cars hundreds of times and will again after this. They did my engine upgrade and I was switching to synthetic. I wanted to see what was recommended with an engine that I am still relatively unfamiliar with. I was also under the impression that it was better to "flush" the engine when making the switch from Dino to synthetic. I have never uses synthetic in my entire life on a car or bike so I didn'tquite know if there was anything different aboutit. About checking the level before I left, you are dead right! I can kick myself in the azz for not doing that. I believed that they knew what they were doing. Who can screw up something so simple? Well, I guess I just answered that question!!!

Anyone have a clue where that spray of oil may have come from???

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:28 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

Listen up, according to the manual, when you do an oil change it's called a "wet" change. Some oil is left in the pan so you don't put in 3 full quarts.
Your dealer and a few people I know just put in 3 quarts and forget about the manual specs.
When I add any fluid I check the level as I'm adding, I just don't dump in a bunch of fluid.
Adding a little and checking the level is a lot better than having to drain it out later.

Mike

Old 05-02-2007 | 10:59 AM
DenimStreet
|
Ultimate HDF Member

I know that, I am trying to figure out where the oil that sprayed on the front fender and pooled on the floor came from. Where could it have exited from on the bike?Also, could there be any damage that I need to look for?

Quick Reply: Need some advice on dealer screw up...*UPDATE*