Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on dealer screw up...*UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007 | 09:17 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain
Default RE: Need some advice on dealer screw up.....

i just overfill my own oil, i dont pay someone else to.
i now know that it will hold three quarts if it never had oil to begin with.
as far as the dealership, i work at a new car dealer and i never check the oil level. but i also know how much each car takes. less engine options for the harleys, shouldnt be that hard for themto figure out

Old 05-02-2007 | 09:31 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master

I took my bike in for the 5K service, trying to keep the warranty going with the proper service schedule. I got my bike back and went to the NC HOG rally at the outerbanks, 600 mile round trip. On the way I noticed some fluid coming from the brake reservoir and wipe it off not really thinking much about it. Previously I had noticed some stains on my silver powder coat and thought it might have been some road grime or something off the road. After I got back, I gave my bike a good cleaning and the damn spots would not come off. Also, the paint on the reservoir was peeled and I noticed the paint on the motor mount peeled as well. The Svc Mgr said it was a call for the owner. Anyway, I left it. I can't believe brake fluid would eat the powder coat. As far as I am concerned, this is going to be a warranty issue since I am not the cause.

Time before at the 1K service, my bike was returned with a chunk of the wrinkle paint next to the gas tank missing where the wrench had removed the tank to check the fuel sending unit.

Beginning to wonder about this service at the dealer.

Old 05-02-2007 | 10:56 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

I would make contact with Harley and get this situation documented so if something comes up in the future that could be caused by this incident, you will have some ammo to go back at them with. Just a thought, but it is better to be safe than sorry. --my .02----jack

Old 05-02-2007 | 11:10 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

Wonderful, I'm getting my 1k done for warranty reasons at my local stealer. They have a local reputation for not ****ing up too much so I'm gonna cross my fingers.

Old 05-02-2007 | 11:41 PM
DenimStreet
|
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

dStreet, you have checked on their tightening of your oil filter
and the drain plug - right??

Primary and tranny as well, if they "serviced" those cavities.

Todd, you could do that in the sixties.
Oh wait - you're in Joisey. Still legal up there??

mud

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

ORIGINAL: veniculum

Dude...just go to the dealer and ask who worked on your bike....then wait outside all night until they close up shop....when you see the guy who worked on your bike walk out, grab a crowbar, wrench, the club, whatever...and beat his a$$ senseless. After you beat the sh*t out of him, take that 18 ounces of oil and jam it down his throat.
I bet that ****** will never screw up an oil change again!

Todd
Wellnow, there's an option.......[sm=helpout.gif][sm=scared09.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=escape.gif]
Yeah Mud--keep in mind, I only saw oil once. It has been dry ever since and I have gone a couple of hundred miles so far. No leaks. So it was either the overfilling that caused it to leak out somewhere, or it was puddled up on the engine from when they took the filter out.

Old 05-03-2007 | 12:09 AM
SWOOP_IN
Cruiser

I changed my oil this 2 weeks ago for the first time and I asked the one of the gals at the HD shop how much oil I need to buy she said 3 qts but only add 2 1/2 qts. before I left I talked to the owner who also works as a mechanic he showed me where to drain my oil and then said to add 3 qts. Needless to say I listened to the HD chick and when I check my fluid it came out almost perfect. I then read my service manual ( I know I should do that first but where is the fun in that and learned about the wet / dry changing methods . I guess I just like the Idea of adding a little at a time.

Old 05-09-2007 | 09:39 PM
DenimStreet
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Need some advice on dealer screw up..*UPDATE*...

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

I took my Street Bob to the dealer, the same one that did my upgrades. They did an oil change. I was changing to synthetic . They did the work and I rode home, about 22 miles. I hit 90 mpr a couple of time on the way home so I worked the engine pretty good. When I got home there was a fine spray of oil on the front fender where it is close to the engine. I checked the oil and it was way over full. I decided to wait till the next morning and check it while cold. The next morning there was a small pool of oil under the bike toward the front of the engine. The dip stick was showing that the oil level was way over the full mark while cold! Rather than try to drain it through the drain plug I took a clear soft plastic hose that I use to siphon gas and inserted it into the oil reservoir. I extracted 18 ounces of oil until the level was correct. I see no more problem and it runs fine. The best I can tell is that the oil spray came out of the oil filter. I am guessing that the excessive pressure created must have force oil past the gasket. It could have come from somewhere else but where? There is no overflow that I know of,

Do you think there is anything else I should watch for? I don't think it effected the air cleaner at all.

$79 to screw up my bike!!! When I called and told them they said "Sorry"! Thanks a lot!!![:'(]

Any insight would be appreciated. I posted this in General, but I think this is a better place for it.

Old 05-09-2007 | 09:48 PM
DenimStreet
|
Ultimate HDF Member

UPDATE: So I went out yesterday morning and found a small puddle of oil under my bike. I immediately checked the drain plug and found that it was almost completely out!!! I had to screw it in with my fingers about 4 revolutions before it was finger tight and then tightened it with a wrench.

Keep in mind that I only have about 100 miles on it since the oil change, so it could not have EVER been tightened!! This is a dealer! So I called them today and told the service manager. Turns out that the young man that did the work is his step son and has a lot of experience. He just said "thats odd"!!

If that plug came out when I was on the highway my engine could have seized and my wheel would have locked up. I told him that could have happened and that he is lucky that I keep an eye on things or they would have been replacing an engine!!!

I don't think they are going to do ANYTHING about it! I paid $79 for that crappy work!!

Old 05-09-2007 | 10:28 PM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

Sounds like you have found the Service Department from hell. Idiot mechanic, idiot Shop Supervisor. I would seriously consider going to another dealer or evena good independent shop. Here in Missouri I know of guys that drive 150 miles away from one dealer to go to another to get reliable service. Now, that's a real pain in the ***, but you have to get a good wrench to work on your bike.

Old 05-09-2007 | 10:55 PM
spn98
6th Gear

Its all about the ride and doing my own work on my bike last week I changed all my fluids checked all my sh*& the dealer can suck my co**

Quick Reply: Need some advice on dealer screw up...*UPDATE*