Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped my bike, need help & advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Myke Malicious
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped my bike, need help & advice

Hi all!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I could use a little help.

So today, I didn't realize it but I parked my 14 FXDC on a bit of an incline. I walked away and heard that sound we all hate, the bike was laying on the floor exhaust side down. It rolled back and fell down. My fault, I didn't think the incline was too sharp or anything but I should have put it in gear. Expensive lesson learned there.

First look wasn't too bad. The tank is fine, the pipes are a little scratched as is the turn signal housing and that grip is not looking new anymore. The bad part is the front brake lever broke off and a bit of the housing is missing. My guess, when it hit the lever took that chunk with it. And of course that whole thing is connected to the master cylinder and controls.

Now I was able to start the bike back up, and the turn signals work so it looks like those controls are fine for now. My concern is do I need to replace the whole thing, or can I just replace the brake lever and use it for short rides until ( a very snowy)winter passes and I can replace the whole thing at my leisure? The piece that is missing is a descent chunk, but it isn't right next to the lever pin so I think that should work?

I cannot find anywhere that sells the OEM black housing, I can only find the chrome online at $350++, does anyone know what it might be specifically called and how much they go for?

Appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:45 PM
ChromeBlows
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

yes you can get all the parts seperatelly fro the most part.The lever should be separate but the upper and lower control housings may only come as a kit and not separate.Good time to get a manual for your bike that will list those parts for you.I wouldn't recommend riding it with any parts defective related to controls but it's your call how bad the missing piece is!Just make sure you don't have any fragments inside that could jam things like your throttle or brake lever.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Myke Malicious
Novice

Originally Posted by ChromeBlows
yes you can get all the parts seperatelly fro the most part.The lever should be separate but the upper and lower control housings may only come as a kit and not separate.Good time to get a manual for your bike that will list those parts for you.I wouldn't recommend riding it with any parts defective related to controls but it's your call how bad the missing piece is!Just make sure you don't have any fragments inside that could jam things like your throttle or brake lever.
Thank you for the input! Yeah, it's right where the brake lever sits - just a bit like the end corner on the bottom broke off. If I can at least get it to my work warehouse I can get the manual and learn to do it myself. I wouldn't risk my life on it, that's for sure. And yeah, thank you for mentioning it - I will try to make certain all debris is cleared out.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,541 Likes on 2,146 Posts

It's the last thing you probably want to hear, and I hate being one of those guys, but you should always leave your bike in gear. Regardless of flat or sloped. Think of leaving your car in neutral, you'd never do it.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:22 AM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, in gear. Always.

The master cylinder is usually not much more, if any, expensive from the dealership than it is anywhere else. I'd look them up for the replacement. As far as riding it in the meantime goes, I'd have to see a pic to give you my advice. But, it'd have to be inoperable to keep me from riding it...

Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 AM
hAkron
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ever never owned a bike I didn't drop at least once. Things happen.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have broken my clutch and brake lever before. In my shop. Always when just moving the bike around without power. The gravity in my shop seems to be proportional to the amount of beer I have drank. Have replaced levers, grips and derby covers because of this. I don't know what the problem is.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:27 PM
CajunGlide03
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Robbie13
Have broken my clutch and brake lever before. In my shop. Always when just moving the bike around without power. The gravity in my shop seems to be proportional to the amount of beer I have drank. Have replaced levers, grips and derby covers because of this. I don't know what the problem is.

Go figure. Gotta love an honest man...

Old 08-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Myke Malicious
Novice

Originally Posted by Mchad
It's the last thing you probably want to hear, and I hate being one of those guys, but you should always leave your bike in gear. Regardless of flat or sloped. Think of leaving your car in neutral, you'd never do it.
No, you are right and it can't hurt to have a few reminders. I picked it up years ago by mistake, and because I lived in the Bay Area anytime a bike was on an incline you would feel it roll. This time, I was in a hurry - didn't pay attention and blam. Lesson learned the hard way

Old 08-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Myke Malicious
Novice

Originally Posted by XFXDX
Yeah, in gear. Always.

The master cylinder is usually not much more, if any, expensive from the dealership than it is anywhere else. I'd look them up for the replacement. As far as riding it in the meantime goes, I'd have to see a pic to give you my advice. But, it'd have to be inoperable to keep me from riding it...
I went in an looked at with eyes not blinded by self rage, and yeah I have to replace it. The metal piece broke all the way to the pin, and one good crank and I would pop it right out:

https://i.imgur.com/IeZ84Iq.jpg

Thankfully a dealer nearby had one. I'll see if I can do it myself, if not have them do it and practice on something else until I can get it down.

Quick Reply: Dropped my bike, need help & advice