Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much paint for fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015 | 09:18 PM
Racqueteer9
|
Road Captain
Default How much paint for fairing?

I need to paint my JD Customs T-Sport replica fairing. Does anyone know how much paint I'll need? I see one company selling 13.5 oz spray can with 16 oz primer and 16 oz clear coat for $50. However, even the manufacturer can't tell me if this is enough to cover 2'x2' area. The next step is buying 1/2 pint for $100 or 1 pint for $150 (plus primer plus clearcoat) and use my HPLV spray gun. If I do that, I'll probably just buy a pint so I can repaint my fenders, which are a little scuffed. But I'd like to save the $150 or so if the spray can will work.

Old 08-11-2015 | 09:39 PM
XFXDX
Road Master

16oz is more than enough, pint is even better! Those figures for paint seem a little high, tho.

Old 08-11-2015 | 09:40 PM
clap
Road Master

Id say one spray can would do it. If it is a base coat

Old 08-12-2015 | 09:09 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

I just painted my T-Sport fairing.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...y-thugged.html

I had 2 cans loaded up with a lacquer blend black and had 1 can of clear. 3 Coats of black were shot on the front side and 2 coats of clear. The backside was painted with 1 coat of black just to seal it up. Did the side panels as well but they're small. Both black cans were used to the last drop. Each black can was $15 and the clear with catalyst was like $28. 2 cans would have been fine without doing the side panels. It was almost not enough. That might give you an idea of what you need.

Old 08-12-2015 | 05:31 PM
Racqueteer9
|
Road Captain

Thanks Jesse, that helps a lot. I saw your post and liked the pin striping but figured someone with a booth sprayed it. Where did you buy the paint and did you try to get an exact match or just gloss black? Mine is "Vivid Black" from 2004 but wonder if it makes sense to try to match exactly.

Old 08-13-2015 | 10:52 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Racqueteer9
Thanks Jesse, that helps a lot. I saw your post and liked the pin striping but figured someone with a booth sprayed it. Where did you buy the paint and did you try to get an exact match or just gloss black? Mine is "Vivid Black" from 2004 but wonder if it makes sense to try to match exactly.
Nope, just a garage job.

I bought the paint from a local paint shop out here. They do all kinds of paint stuff. Mostly geared to automotive though. I did their highest gloss black and their best clear coat they had with UV protection etc. I didn't paint match it. When you stand right next to it under light you can tell there is a shade difference in black. Vivid Black has almost a greyish hue to it under direct sunlight which I'm not a big fan of. The black I bought is PITCH BLACK so there is a slight difference IF you're looking for it under the sun. Personally I like the new stuff better and going to be doing my tank as well to match soon.

Old 08-13-2015 | 07:36 PM
Racqueteer9
|
Road Captain

Thanks, good to know. Maybe I'll just try to find a decent automotive gloss black. I've heard some crazy, crazy numbers for high dollar paints.

Old 08-14-2015 | 07:00 PM
iceman4160
Cruiser

have you looked into AutoAir or Createx Wicked paints, they are a waterbased paint, I use them for airbrushing and custom painting all the time, the AA and wicked lines of paint with the reducer in the 4 oz sixw will set you back probably 12 bucks and the 4 oz size will cove approx. a 3 foot square area. Also did a little touch up on my 2015 vivid black dyna used Wicked Black, and you can't even tell it wasd touched up.

Old 08-31-2015 | 06:35 PM
Racqueteer9
|
Road Captain

What a PIA this project has been and I'm still not done. I wish I'd paid JD $150 to match paint when I bought the fairing. Went to a Sherwin Williams Automotive store. They couldn't do squat without paint code except tell me I'd probably need $150 to buy a half pint with clear coat if I returned either with code or a piece of the bike to match. So, although the HD counter guys were clueless, I bought $25 spray can of Vivid Black and $25 can of clear coat to try myself.

I went to Wallymart to get some flat black Rustoleum primer because they were the only place with black primer. Sprayed a coat of primer, wet sanded, then applied some of the Vivid Black. It looked quite rough with no gloss so I let it dry, wet sanded it and sprayed again. Started to look better so I laid another coat on.

However, when it dried and I looked at it closely, I found a drop near the bottom meaning I'd laid it on too heavy. Sanded that area down and used remainder of can to cover. The gloss wasn't blended perfectly from the sanded area but that was on bottom of fairing anyway. Figured I'd see if clearcoat would help when I learned HD guys gave me Matt Clear. So I went back to WallyMart for some Rustoleum Gloss Clear. Sprayed it on but it hazed up. F**k! A coworker told me I hadn't let the base dry enough?

Since black is black, wet sanded again and tried spraying with can of Rustoleum 2X Gloss Black. Was able to get a decent gloss although finish looked a little rough. However, when I took it out in daylight, I noticed the black looked really GRAY compared to my fender. And Jessie said HD Vivid Black has a gray hue?

I'm really getting tired of this project. I sanded it down again but aren't sure what direction to take. Called a few body shops and the cheapest was Maaco who wants his minimum ($200.) WTF, they'll paint a complete car for like $400? I understand setup but I'm not interested in spending that much for a 2'x2' fairing. It doesn't need to be perfect, just presentable. Looked into the AutoAir and Createx paints but nobody nearby sells them. I'm thinking of either going back to HD to buy another $25 can or paying $50 for a can of ColorRite with a matching can of clear coat. There's another "touch-up" brand on Amazon but no reviews

Any ideas to help me out of my frustrating misery?

Old 08-31-2015 | 07:33 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member

I did the Color-Rite rattle cans on my Memphis Shades cafe fairing.

Dark charcoal pear bike, while the match isnt perfect (maybe my prep?) it came out quite nice and still matches very very close and you can only tell in some very specific instances. I messed up in polishing out the clear coat the first time and resprayed my entire fairing again... then wet sanded and polished it up and while it has a tad more orange peal than the gas tank it matches the rear fender perfect. I also still have enough paint left over to do another cafe fairing with a complete 2-3 coats as suggested buy them even after spraying my hand guards too.

here it is on the bike.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 08-31-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: How much paint for fairing?