Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:58 PM
Jplumbob
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch question

Got my first HD few months ago 2010 super glide custom. She has around 23000 miles. When I am in neutral and go into first it really clunks into gear sometimes a bit of grinding. If I am shut down and have clutch and push forward in while in gear it still grabs enough to try to turn the engine. It this normal or is something going on. I did pull clutch in while accelerating and it disengaged and engine rpm increased with only pulling lever about an inch. My thoughts are if I try to adjust clutch any it will not be fully engaged. Any thoughts?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

First of if you pull the clutch in does your bike try to creep forward still?
Answer: to much primary fluid

.....if it's not doing that's then do you have very little wiggle in your clutch lever when it's not released? Your clutch cable shouldn't be dead tight cause it will cause you to ride the clutch even though you pull it in all the way.

If I'm understanding correctly the clutch seems to be grabbing way to early/when it's not supposed to.
Sounds to me like you need to slide the rubber boot from your clutch cable and adjust it (loosen the play a bit if you will).

ADDITION: there is another clutch adjustment when you remove the derby cover, but before you dive into that I think properly adjusting the cable will solve your problem. Sounds pretty straight forward.

Last edited by HD Bobber; 08-09-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:26 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

With that many miles when was the adjustment procedure performed? I would adjust both cable and friction adjustment. Also it is normal for bike not to move in gear engine off with lever engaged.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:43 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Man, they all clunk going into first. A bunch of threads about that.

And while I think sleydog already said it, I will say, that a) my clutch is currently adjusted correctly and b) with my engine off, in gear, if I pull in the clutch, my bike generally will not roll. Especially if I parked it in gear, and want to move the bike. Gotta slip her into neutral. Not like a car, which generally lets go all the way if you activate the clutch, even with the engine not running.

Lastly, with these wet clutches, they don't require much to allow a gear change. Even though I fully squeeze the clutch when riding, clearly I could shift just fine only squeezing halfway.

Sounds line your clutch adjustment is just fine, but I would not hurt to check anyway.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:33 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Clunk into first is normal, clunk and grind, not so normal (but not unheard of).

You should be able to pull the clutch in and roll the bike forward in gear when shut down.
If you are standing in gear, Motor running, with the clutch pulled in the bike may want to creep a little but not so much that you cant stop it with your foot on the road.

If its behaving otherwise, it isnt a big job to adjust your clutch......but be sure to RTFM.