Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:31 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts
Default Sticky Tires

Hi all,

I picked up a 2000 FXDX at the beginning of the summer, with almost new Dunlop K591s mounted front and rear, in stock sizes (150/80/16; 100/90/19).

I ride the bike pretty aggressively (and it currently makes over 100hp at the wheel), and twisty road handling is important to me. I've just picked up a set of freshly powdercoated stock wheels, and would like to take this opportunity to upgrade my tires.

My issue with the 591s is that the profile doesn't seem to support as much of a lean angle as the bike is capable of. I have yet to drag anything on the ground, but my rear tire has less than a half inch of unused sidewall, and my front tire is used all the way to the edge.

I think I'm narrowed down to Pirelli Night Dragons and Avon Cobras, but I would love to hear some input... I'm planning on running a 110/90/19 up front, and the stock 150 in the back. Grip and lean angle are more important to me than tire life.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

Old 08-07-2015, 01:39 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I've heard nothing but good reviews of the two tire brands you mentioned. From performance riders anyway. Cruiser will complain about mileage of course. I haven't personally run either of them.

I went with Metzler 888's on my FXR and I get pretty aggressive as well. I absolutely love them compared to the Dunlap's, but I suppose just about any tire would be an improvement.

A close friend that rides a big twin harder than anybody I've ever seen in my live, swears by the Cobras. But he's only getting 4k miles out of a set. Which is why I went with the 888's. I just can't bring myself to spring for a new set of tires every oil change.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:54 PM
RandallJ
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if there is a BTO16 dunlop that fits.. This is a street tire I have run at the track with fantastic results..
Tire life at 185hp is around 3k.. There is no real high milage/great traction tire I have found yet.. I use up 3 to 5 sets of tires a year and would love to find something that got 5K and hooked up well..

I see the "Sportmax Q3" in that size... It is the replacement for the Qualifier (was a great tire too) same kind of lack luster milage but good tires

Last edited by RandallJ; 08-07-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...or-shinko.html

Search button.

Last edited by Robbie13; 08-07-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:22 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
I've heard nothing but good reviews of the two tire brands you mentioned. From performance riders anyway. Cruiser will complain about mileage of course. I haven't personally run either of them.

I went with Metzler 888's on my FXR and I get pretty aggressive as well. I absolutely love them compared to the Dunlap's, but I suppose just about any tire would be an improvement.

A close friend that rides a big twin harder than anybody I've ever seen in my live, swears by the Cobras. But he's only getting 4k miles out of a set. Which is why I went with the 888's. I just can't bring myself to spring for a new set of tires every oil change.
Thanks for the input... I know I'm sacrificing tire life, but it's worth it to me to properly enjoy the bike in the manner that I like to ride... Since I only get 2000-3000 miles on my "faster" bike, getting 4000-5000 sounds fine to me!

I got nervous once I realized just how close I am to really running out of front tire right now...

Old 08-07-2015, 05:24 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Robbie13
I know, I know... I have actually searched this topic here pretty thoroughly (including the thread you sent), but I was hoping someone could really compare the two specific tires I mentioned. Many of the tests and comparisons I've found focus more on tread life than on handling...

Old 08-07-2015, 11:25 PM
dustyd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a set of Avon Crobras on my FXDF and they are crazy sticky for what it's worth. It's been a real confidence booster in corners since putting them on, and I drive like a nut.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:01 AM
chief08
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 107 Posts

Pirelli night dragons made for hooking corners. I like them

Old 08-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
I know, I know... I have actually searched this topic here pretty thoroughly (including the thread you sent), but I was hoping someone could really compare the two specific tires I mentioned. Many of the tests and comparisons I've found focus more on tread life than on handling...
Then buy a set of whatever you think is best from the recommendations. Try them out. If not what you think they should be then try another set of another brand. Different people have different results from each brand. You have to find what works for you. With the softer tires you are only talking about 4-6k miles. Fwiw, I have only run Pirelli ND's on mine since stock. I average about 5-6k on mine. I do not ride aggressive and there is not a lot of hard curves in my area. But they do stick when you need them to.

Last edited by Robbie13; 08-08-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:55 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,748 Likes on 3,108 Posts

Originally Posted by RandallJ
See if there is a BTO16 dunlop that fits.
That's funny, right there!

Quick Reply: Sticky Tires