Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange performance, interruptions to fuel supply?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 AM
supermanotorious
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange performance, interruptions to fuel supply?

Over the last few days, I've noticed the bike briefly "cutting out" for a split second as I throttle it. Doesn't really matter if I'm taking off the line or shifting on the highway. After that split second it's back to normal. Bike has 33,337 miles, carbureted. Any ideas? Maybe needs a new fuel filter, carb cleaned, Seafoam? I dunno.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine had a similar problem. Twice.
1st time it was the in-tank fuel line.
2nd time it was a dirty sensor. Sprayed a bunch of WD-40 in the throttle body, hosing every sensor I could see, and now runs like a champ.

I also have fuel injection, so issue probably isn't the same, but I would start with carb cleaner, sea foam, filter (both air & fuel), like you mentioned and see what happens. Start with the easy stuff.

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Most likely a dirty fuel petcock screen or the vacuum system of petcock is failing.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:58 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,530 Posts

Same here, check/replace vacuum lines and clean the fuel filter in the petcock.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:03 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

I cleaned the air filter and added Sea Foam to the tank, still have the issue, I will attempt to clean the petcock this weekend.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd change the fuel filter for peace of mind then suspect water in the gas from the last place you fueled up.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The vacuum petcock internal diaphragms fail slowly with age. This causes the petcock to not fully open with the engine running. Easy check, remove the fuel line and vacuum line from the petcock, install a length of vacuum tubing on the vacuum nipple, suck on it lightly. It should hold solid vacuum and then allow fuel to flow freely. If it requires continual vacuum to keep open its bad.

Also there is a screen on the petcock inside the fuel tank. It gets clogged with gunk over the years.

A new Pingle non-vacuum petcock and an inline filter is the way to go with most bikes.

-----

Old 08-12-2015, 10:02 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,372 Likes on 841 Posts

For ***** n giggles, pull your spark plug cables out of the ignition coil. Check to see if the contacts are burned to a crisp. Problem could be the coil or ignition black box.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:22 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

With 33K miles on it, this could very well be the accelerator pump giving it up or it could be gunked up and not flowing smoothly. Get a book, a rebuild kit and some cleaner and spend some quality time getting to know your carburetor. These things are very simple and difficult to muck up if you are paying attention to what you are doing.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:24 AM
OCCHD
Stage I
Default Check battery connection

I had a very similar issue--running fine, then cutting out for a split second, then running fine again. It was a loose connector on the negative side of the battery. Does the speedo die down at the same time?

Quick Reply: strange performance, interruptions to fuel supply?