Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket inbetween engine and trans.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 12:58 AM
codsack
|
Advanced
Default Gasket inbetween engine and trans.

I tried to create a post in the "DIY forum for trans/primary" but didn't have a "new post" function to start one. Go fig., then again it might just be me. Anyways, maybe someone can help me out. I noticed a bit of oil seaping right at the seem where the engine and trans. mate up last week. It's not wet, just barely seaping. After seeing the way the mechanics at the dealer were working on my bike (clearing engine code)last week I'm not to enthusiastic about taking it in to have them replace this gasket. I have a service manual and mechanical skill and all the tools, but I just wanted some input into this task of putting a new gasket in. I'm wondering if I can unbolt the trans. and pull it back just enough to slip a new gasket in, and retorque it without having to tear a bunch of stuff out of the way. I wouldn't thinkthat you'dneed much space to get the new gasket in there, just gotta make sureits lined up right.

I'm gonna clean the area up some and run it just to make sure it's not coming from the seam where the crankcases go together. I'm almost 100% sure its the trans. to engine gasket though. Anyone have similiar problems? Thanks ahead time.
Chase

Old 05-01-2007 | 01:14 AM
v2in
Tourer
Default RE: Gasket inbetween engine and trans.

I hate to start another trans thread. Harley had some early 07 Transmission casing that were pourous. Oil seeps in to holes that keep the gasket lined up and out of the seam between the eng. and trans. Just small spots of oil under the bike ? Good luck.

Old 05-01-2007 | 01:31 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

Chase,

is this seepage on the top side where the engine mates to the tranny??

If so, get a rag, wipe it off and forget it.

If not, where is the seepage??

mud

ORIGINAL: codsack

I tried to create a post in the "DIY forum for trans/primary" but didn't have a "new post" function to start one. Go fig., then again it might just be me. Anyways, maybe someone can help me out. I noticed a bit of oil seaping right at the seem where the engine and trans. mate up last week. It's not wet, just barely seaping. After seeing the way the mechanics at the dealer were working on my bike (clearing engine code)last week I'm not to enthusiastic about taking it in to have them replace this gasket. I have a service manual and mechanical skill and all the tools, but I just wanted some input into this task of putting a new gasket in. I'm wondering if I can unbolt the trans. and pull it back just enough to slip a new gasket in, and retorque it without having to tear a bunch of stuff out of the way. I wouldn't thinkthat you'dneed much space to get the new gasket in there, just gotta make sureits lined up right.

I'm gonna clean the area up some and run it just to make sure it's not coming from the seam where the crankcases go together. I'm almost 100% sure its the trans. to engine gasket though. Anyone have similiar problems? Thanks ahead time.
Chase

Old 05-01-2007 | 01:49 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior

Gotta do a little searching. This one has been covered quite a bit (and I'm too lazy to search it for you ).

Anyway, it's pretty normal...there are A LOT of folks with 06/07s who have had this. Over time, it goes away...a few months/couple thousand miles. Wipe it clean with some brake caliper cleaner spray (or some other cleaner that's safe on the engine)....it should stop shortly.

Todd

Old 05-01-2007 | 02:42 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

My 05 has this too, I just hit it with a little brake clean when I was her.

You will have to take the back tire and swing arm off to do the job right.

the trans case has a mount in the back. its alittle labor intensive!

Old 05-01-2007 | 04:13 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: veniculum

Gotta do a little searching. This one has been covered quite a bit (and I'm too lazy to search it for you ).

Anyway, it's pretty normal...there are A LOT of folks with 06/07s who have had this. Over time, it goes away...a few months/couple thousand miles. Wipe it clean with some brake caliper cleaner spray (or some other cleaner that's safe on the engine)....it should stop shortly.

Todd
Todd, you are correct, if this is the seepage that we all experience

Old 05-01-2007 | 07:36 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

There is no gasket between the engine and trans in that area and no fluid in there to leak according to the dealer. The staining is most likely due to the two surfaces rubbing together. All the dynas get that stain and it shows up most on the silver powder coated engines. I've posted the solution before - Spray a little brake cleaner (NOT BRAKE FLUID) on it and scrub with the wife's toothbrush. The engine will sparkle, but the wife's teeth will start turning black. Since my wife rarely smiles anyway, this is a good trade-off.

Old 05-01-2007 | 03:12 PM
v2in
Tourer

When my 07 Street glide started to leak, Harley wanted the Transmission case back ASAP. They overnighted a new case to the dealer. There is in fact a gasket, it's an internal gasket between the engine and trans. Not around the outer case. It's a small gasket with two small plastic keepers on it.The leak was in the hole where the plastic keeper sits.The dealer had my bike about 48 hours and back on the road. No more leak that was 6k miles ago.

Old 05-01-2007 | 10:06 PM
codsack
|
Advanced

Yeah...it's exactly where that pic. you posted shows mudpuddle. I'll keep on riding and keep an eye on it. Just a bit irriatating having something brand new and it seeps oil.
Chase

Old 05-01-2007 | 11:45 PM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: codsack

Yeah...it's exactly where that pic. you posted shows mudpuddle.
I'll keep on riding and keep an eye on it.

Just a bit irriatating having something brand new and it seeps oil.
Chase
Chase, I do agree - mildly irritating.
You shoulda been around when leaks were leaks,
and expected.

The red rag in the pic above was standard issue then.

That seepage you see in my snapshot is probably a three month accumulation.

If I would have saved all of the seepage over a year and a half,
I would probably have about a drop and a half of oil.

mud

Quick Reply: Gasket inbetween engine and trans.