Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N pissing all over bike and pissing me off

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:55 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default K&N pissing all over bike and pissing me off

So I just cleaned and oiled my K&N round filter. I have an RSD intake and you can see the filter. For the past month it's been pissing excess oil down the side of my bike. Did I just oil it too much? Any advice? Seems to have gotten worse after I washed my bike (I put a bag on the filter when I did it)

Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,581 Likes on 682 Posts

I'm going to guess its the internal crank breathers pissing oil into the filter.

How full is your engine oil when cold?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:13 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Mid way. The oil that I wipe off the pipes and such is red. And there are a few red droplets on the backing plate as well.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:22 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by apblingAEW
Mid way. The oil that I wipe off the pipes and such is red. And there are a few red droplets on the backing plate as well.
Yep, you've over oiled it, I've ruined a few pairs of jeans with that filter oil One thing I started doing several years ago was having a spare K&N filter for every bike, I'd always have one clean and oiled waiting to be installed, in that way the filter would have plenty of time to drain off whatever excess I'd sprayed on. I keep them on a wire rack and the excess drips off on to paper towels, by the time they're put on the bike there's no excess oil to make a mess...

Old 07-25-2015, 10:23 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,581 Likes on 682 Posts

Then it sounds like you may have over oiled it either a lot or I'm thinking its also a combination of a little bit too much filter oil and the crank breathers pissing just a tiny bit. even when filled mid way up the dip stick my external crank breathers have a very light mist when I run it hard.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:26 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

I like the two filter idea.. I can attest I may have gone a little overboard with the oil. Thing is it won't do it and I think I'm good then I run down the interstate and the wind must be enough to cause some to blow off.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:26 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

I had the same problem, and posted questions to this forum. What I was told was as follows:

- clean it good & let it air dry in a dry locTion for 24 hours. Ifvitbis wet when you oil it, that can causes the oil to not soak in.

- use the oil in the spray can, and do a light coating on the external surface only.

I just did mine, but don't have the results yet.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

You have to let the oil soak into the filter for a while before you do your riding, and yes, do not over oil it. A conservative misting, just enough to show red is sufficient. On another note, did anyone know that the red oil you put on your filter is marvel mystery oil? If you over oil the filter it will find its own equilibrium....on your bike and your leg

Old 07-25-2015, 10:31 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Yep I got aerosol oil. I let mine dry in front of dehumidifier overnight. I've had many K&N filters through the years but always in housings not external lol.

I'll probably just order a 2nd filter and go that route. This one has 12k on it. I know they brag how long they last and how often you should clean it but I feel more comfortable cleaning/changing it more soon.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:44 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s
I'm going to guess its the internal crank breathers pissing oil into the filter.

How full is your engine oil when cold?
You got that right--I had that problem on my wide glide and now run it a half qt low--problem solved. I now have 119k on it

Quick Reply: K&N pissing all over bike and pissing me off