Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N pissing all over bike and pissing me off

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

My brother went to school with the regional procurement manager for a nationwide auto parts chain. Thru this person I have learned much about the distribution of oils and lubricants offered by these stores we all know vey well. Example: one day this local store was running a 5qt. oil and filter special and the oil was packaged in their store brand jugs...turned out it was Castrol at that time. I think she said quarterly the co. puts out a bid to suppliers for various products that will be sold in their store
brand containers. Everybody does this, milk, lotion, mouthwash, toothpaste, oil, gas, fuel stabilizers etc....if you can think it hey are doing it. The thing is the public never knows what they are really getting when they open up their wallets...pretty shitty business if you ask me but that is the way it is. Without knowing someone in the business people never really know what they are dealing with, and that how they want it. The DC Gang don't care one way or the other because they collect their taxes no matter who's name is on the outside. Nice Huh?

Old 07-25-2015, 02:57 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

^ um...OK?

Back the topic...these oiled cotton filters originated for the off-road market and perform just fine when they are all but caked in dirt. Stop worrying about it, stop cleaning them, and just ride. It will take 10 years to get anywhere near dirty enough to make any performance difference and filtering performance actually improves with the increase in crud.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:02 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

^ um...OK?

Back the topic...these oiled cotton filters originated for the off-road market and perform just fine when they are all but caked in dirt. Stop worrying about it, stop cleaning them, and just ride. It will take 10 years to get anywhere near dirty enough to make any performance difference and filtering performance actually improves with the increase in crud.

I've got a k&n on a car with 300,000 miles on it. I installed that filter in 2002 and have never done more than shake it out. The induction tubes and throttle body all look great 280,000 miles later. Haven't had the intake or heads off but the EGR system is dumping more **** into my combustion chambers and top end than than the actual induction system is. Wanna help your engine? Get rid of the EGR. If it makes you feel guilty, adopt an abused animal and plant a tree.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman

What a bunch of horse puckey! Do your homework, instead of believing everything you read from their marketing department. The oiled cotton filters initially have lower air restriction (if they're not over-oiled), but also clog up faster after trapping less dirt (restricting flow) than the better paper filters. And they also allow a lot more dirt through.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:20 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 107 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Yep, you've over oiled it, I've ruined a few pairs of jeans with that filter oil One thing I started doing several years ago was having a spare K&N filter for every bike, I'd always have one clean and oiled waiting to be installed, in that way the filter would have plenty of time to drain off whatever excess I'd sprayed on. I keep them on a wire rack and the excess drips off on to paper towels, by the time they're put on the bike there's no excess oil to make a mess...
good idea

Old 07-25-2015, 05:18 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
What a bunch of horse puckey! Do your homework, instead of believing everything you read from their marketing department. The oiled cotton filters initially have lower air restriction (if they're not over-oiled), but also clog up faster after trapping less dirt (restricting flow) than the better paper filters. And they also allow a lot more dirt through.
Nowhere in this thread, or my post in particular, compares the performance of a gauze filter to a paper or fibeglass filter. That's typical of the haters I see pop up in every motoring forum ive ever visited. Its pointless to debate it. This a topic like like politics or religion. I've read the studies and believe their conclusions. Clean paper is a better filtration media. You win. Feel better?

You don't know me from Adam. Don't assume and don't accuse.

I use 5 micron fiberglass pleated filters in one of my fish tanks. I also use, or have-used, in both water and air filtration, diatomaceous earth, activated carbon, bio-*****, Wet/dry, sand bed, electrostatic, reverse osmosis, ion exchange, etc...I have a little experience with filtration.

I don't believe in a filtration method/media based on marketing. I try something and believe in my personal experience. In the case of vehicles, I have five vehicles running both dry and oiled cotton pleated filters. Combined mileage is well in excess of 500,000 miles. Would a K&N zealot admit that the oiled cotton absolutely does foul nearby MAF sensor in his Lincoln? I will.

I respect a person's choice to choose. Use paper. Use gauze. Use a bird catcher. Run open velocity stacks. I've done it all. One has to choose based on their own environment, useage, habits, preferences, and maint. routines. I live in a rural area with no sand or heavy airborne contaminants, so I dont really stress on the need for fine particle filtration. I prefer the look and sound of open stacks myself...but recognize that it's risky. Too risky for me so I don't generally run that way. A big pleated cone is my next choice.

My combined experience says that fanatical maintenance of this type of filter is unnecessary. Like it. Don't like it. I don't care either way. Just don't call me a fool.

Last edited by cggorman; 07-25-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:47 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Congratulations on your fish tanks.
Wasn't it you who said these things?
Stop worrying about it, stop cleaning them, and just ride. It will take 10 years to get anywhere near dirty enough to make any performance difference...
Hogwash. One of my cotton gauze filter equipped vehicles has a real-time display of manifold air pressure.

Haven't had the intake or heads off but the EGR system is dumping more **** into my combustion chambers and top end than than the actual induction system is. Wanna help your engine? Get rid of the EGR.
I'm having a little trouble finding the EGR system on my Harleys. Can you give me some pointers on where to look?

Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by apblingAEW
Yep I got aerosol oil. I let mine dry in front of dehumidifier overnight. I've had many K&N filters through the years but always in housings not external lol.

I'll probably just order a 2nd filter and go that route. This one has 12k on it. I know they brag how long they last and how often you should clean it but I feel more comfortable cleaning/changing it more soon.
I actually had this problem also and posted a thread about it. In the end even though I thought i had wiped off excess I still had some dripping. I removed the filter and realized there was still oil between the filter and back plate. At high speeds the wind pressure would push some of the oil out and it would drip.

Wiped off the back plate and excess oil that had been trapped and never had a problem since. Hope this helps

Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default K&N pissing all over bike and pissing me off

Robby that's an excellent idea. I will do that today. Never thought of that.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:34 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 907 Likes on 587 Posts

I use 5 micron fiberglass pleated filters in one of my fish tanks.
I am not or will not question your education level, but without the aid of the internet or some cheesy marketing ploy, do you really know what a "micron" is?

I verify & certify CMM's (Coordinate Measuring Machines) and deal with microns on a daily basis. Its all Metrology

Quick Reply: K&N pissing all over bike and pissing me off