Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike gets hairy

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015 | 04:34 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Start cheap first!

How tight are you gripping the handlebars? What you describe can be caused by too tight of a grip. (free to fix)

Tire pressure. Even a pound or 2 can make a difference. (free to fix)

Check your fall-away and front forks for adjustment and wear (free to determine)

Then, and only then begin spending money.

Steering dampers treat and hide a symptom.

Old 07-23-2015 | 08:01 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SLV
This is a good mod and may solve the problem by itself, but also check your front motor-mount isolators. They don't last very long in normal conditions. Your harsh winters, and especially any long winter storage will dry them out.

A steering stabilizer is also a good idea.

Some guys have installed a different front mount stabilizer from a British company. I can't recall the name at the moment, but it secures the front mount from any side-to-side motion (Like the Tru-Track does for the rear.)
The true track 20-30 is a front and back stabilizer.

Old 07-23-2015 | 08:03 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Start cheap first!

How tight are you gripping the handlebars? What you describe can be caused by too tight of a grip. (free to fix)

Tire pressure. Even a pound or 2 can make a difference. (free to fix)

Check your fall-away and front forks for adjustment and wear (free to determine)

Then, and only then begin spending money.

Steering dampers treat and hide a symptom.
I will be checking all the suggestions mentioned .But as we all know Harley is terrible with there handling patents when there is any bit or torque added to the mix.

Old 07-23-2015 | 08:17 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
I will be checking all the suggestions mentioned .But as we all know Harley is terrible with there handling patents when there is any bit or torque added to the mix.
I guess I didn't know that.
10 year old dyna been running long miles sometimes at high speeds and never an issue.

Old 08-06-2015 | 04:27 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I put the True Track system on front and rear and did a test run at 100 mph and still got the wobble. I gave my buddy at HeritageCycleWorks a call, he had mentioned before about doing a fall away test on the front end but had also mentioned the tires and the air pressure so I thought no big deal I put in 40lbs front and back as it says on the Dunlop 401 tires, he said thats not the way he does it, he uses the tire pressure which is on the frame of the bike. I checked the sticker pressure and it said rear 40 and front 30 , I deflated the front down to 30 lbs and did another test run , wobble seems to be gone, I even jumped upto 110 mph and back down to 100mph and cruised for a very short distance ( don't need no Stunt Driving tickets ) bike seems good now. I have a new set of Avon Cobras that got delivered today so hopefully they make things even better.

Old 08-06-2015 | 04:50 PM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member

Play with your air pressure.Worked for me. And like said throw in a new front mount. Some guys had luck placing shim between the mount to take up the slop.

Old 08-06-2015 | 05:05 PM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Old 08-06-2015 | 06:13 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member

But as we all know Harley is terrible with there handling patents when there is any bit or torque added to the mix.
I don't necessarily buy that assertion.

Could NASA, with an unlimited budget, design a Dyna that handles and responds exactly the way you expect - or maybe better than you expect! - but still be affordable by the average Joe Blow?

Maybe so, but I doubt it.

Old 08-06-2015 | 06:41 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

I put the True Track system on front and rear and did a test run at 100 mph and still got the wobble. I gave my buddy at HeritageCycleWorks a call, he had mentioned before about doing a fall away test on the front end but had also mentioned the tires and the air pressure so I thought no big deal I put in 40lbs front and back as it says on the Dunlop 401 tires, he said thats not the way he does it, he uses the tire pressure which is on the frame of the bike. I checked the sticker pressure and it said rear 40 and front 30 , I deflated the front down to 30 lbs and did another test run , wobble seems to be gone, I even jumped upto 110 mph and back down to 100mph and cruised for a very short distance ( don't need no Stunt Driving tickets ) bike seems good now. I have a new set of Avon Cobras that got delivered today so hopefully they make things even better.

So you spent money first and it didn't work.
Then went with the free fix and it worked.

I tried to tell ya................

Why is it that Harley owners think throwing money at something is always the first and best choice???

Old 08-06-2015 | 08:16 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jonesee
So you spent money first and it didn't work.
Then went with the free fix and it worked.

I tried to tell ya................

Why is it that Harley owners think throwing money at something is always the first and best choice???
I didn't say it didn't get better only that wobble was still there. The bike handles a hundred times better with the True Track. Will be installing new Avons tomorrow which will improve ride even more.

Quick Reply: Bike gets hairy