Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission slippin!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:48 AM
gmiklos
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission slippin!

I have a 2000 Super Glide Sport, 35,000 miles. Ive kept the maintenance schedule up to date since Ive had it. Lately, when shifting up thru the gears, the transmission slips into nuetral when I shift from 3rd to 4th gears.....usually when the engine is under stress ie: going up hill, fast acceleration. Has anyone else experiences this? Does anyone know if a HD recall was ever out for this problem. Gonna call a dealer today.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:12 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RE: transmission slippin!

Is the gear shifter adjusted correctly, where you have plenty of room in there. Also, is the leaver tight so it is not slipping on the shaft?

Are you avoiding lazy shifting....I mean force the leaver into position. Lightly forcing the shifter there does not always quiet get it to where it needs to be.

So....
Did your riding habit change? Have you changed footwear in a while?

I say all this....because the HD 5speed is well built and is very solid. They rarely give any trouble.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: transmission slippin!

ORIGINAL: gmiklos

I have a 2000 Super Glide Sport, 35,000 miles. Ive kept the maintenance schedule up to date since Ive had it. Lately, when shifting up thru the gears, the transmission slips into nuetral when I shift from 3rd to 4th gears.....usually when the engine is under stress ie: going up hill, fast acceleration. Has anyone else experiences this? Does anyone know if a HD recall was ever out for this problem. Gonna call a dealer today.
Your description is a little vague. Do you mean:
1 - Shifting 3rd to 4th, the transmissions "misses" the next gear in favor of neutral? (Most likely a linkage adjustment issue, slipping lever on spline, failed detentetc.)

2 - Shifting 3rd to 4th, the transmission engages the next gear, but then pops out under acceleration? (Possibly still a linkage problem, but popping out of gear takes its toll quickly. Possible warn selector forks inside the transmission may also be a cause of popping out of gear)