Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guys that did the dyna mid to forward controls - how did you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:27 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default guys that did the dyna mid to forward controls - how did you do it?

My 09 fatbob came with mids originally, but the previous owner put forwards on himself. He swears up and down that he only took the outer primary off - all the gaskets and orings and the seal are still in the box, new. I also have the original shift rod that passes through the primary - so he didn't do the hack saw method I found on ebay. Makes me a little nervous if he knew what the hell he was doing when he did this... He obviously either had it done by someone OR had to take the inner primary off, right? No other way around it, right?

he's pretty handy and has an old fairlane and nova drag cars, so he's not a complete idiot, but I don't trust anyone really...

Old 07-15-2015, 10:46 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

For mids to fwds, this is a good thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-primary.html

Old 07-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Mars47
Road Captain

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Before I knew better; I paid the Harley shop an entire tax return to put forwards on, fix something in the primary that they apparently found, and replace the back tire because it miraculously had a screw in it.

Only took a week.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:14 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

When I see things like that makes me think I'm in the wrong business.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Mars47
Road Captain

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by apblingAEW
When I see things like that makes me think I'm in the wrong business.
Knowing what I know now I would've done it myself using the manual, youtube, and a case of beer.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:42 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't have to take the primary off to change over from Mid's to Forwards. My 03 was already done and I still have the mid shaft in place. All Harley did in 06 and up was make everyone think that you needed to pull the primary off to remove the mid shaft so they could charge you way more money for the labor and sell you a new primary outer case. My mid shaft still has the inner shifter arm attached and HD made a little bracket to bolt it to one of the cylinder bolts out of the way so it doesn't move. That little bracket is still available from HD and so is the little "cap" that covers up the outer part of the mid-shaft to hide it.

Some say that they've had a harder time finding neutral because they didn't put in the longer transmission shifter arm. I've had mids and then forwards and now I installed the HD Floorboard kit 50500247 off the Switchback. I can find neutral just fine.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:53 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

No kidding...first I heard of this. I'll go look at mine but I'm almost positive I have the original shift shaft from the mids in my box of parts.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:03 PM
mcwarren
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I changed my FXDC from mids to forwards five years ago and left the shift shaft and lever for the mids in place in case I someday sold my bike and the new owner might prefer the mids. I have since changed to the Dyna floorboard kit and still have the original shift shaft and lever from the mids in place. A bonus for me was that since I still had the mid shaft and lever in place I was able to fabricate a unique heel toe shift that provides for toe upshifting and heel downshifting. Five years later I am glad that I chose to leave the mid shaft and lever as it presented me with options for further changes later on. I love the heel toe shifting setup that I came up with. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-approach.html

Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgribks
You don't have to take the primary off to change over from Mid's to Forwards. My 03 was already done and I still have the mid shaft in place.
Your right of course, and many of us are simply doing that,, leaving the mid-shift shaft in-place and covering it with a beauty ring,,
but you miss the OP's question and this topic.
He's saying the seller removed the shift-shaft without pulling the inner primary cover.

apblingAEW;
It's simple.
He's lying.
For some reason he want's to be cool and knowledgeable.
It can't be done or the info would be all over dozens of forums on the internet and indies all across the country would be hawking the job as a money saver as opposed to doing it "by the book" and paying for several hours of shop time.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:48 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

John - thats where I was leading myself to, but wasn't 100% sure either. Seems funny he couldn't remember much about it, only 5 years ago, whereas I can remember almost everything I've dealt with on my old KZ I had since 2004.

Quick Reply: guys that did the dyna mid to forward controls - how did you do it?