Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my front brake spongy??? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 05:27 PM
jmerchant.1
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why is my front brake spongy??? Help!

Alright guys so I need some help here. A while back I changed the handlebars on my street bob. Since that point coincidentally I have been having a weird issue with my front brake. Here is what happens- when I come down to my garage in the morning (the bike having sat all night), I can squeeze my front brake lever in all the way with little effort. The more I squeeze it will slowly pump up and become firm like it should be. I can then ride and have zero issues. But once I come home and park the bike for the night I have the same problem the next day. It seems to me that somehow air is getting in the system. I've bled the line, replaced the cap/gasket on top, and rebuilt the master cylinder with the seal kit from Harley and the issue is still the same. There are no leaks coming from the cylinder or the caliper and my front rotor is not warped. What in the world is wrong with my brake?? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The following users liked this post:
Dad's Bike (02-22-2023)
Old 07-05-2015, 05:39 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

You did everything right , but she didn't listen.
I say bleed her some more.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 PM
tstroud
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try using a syringe to bleed it from the bottom up.
I seen a how to on here but I can't find it right now.
Basically, put brake fluid in the syringe, use a piece of hose to connect to the bleeder on the caliper and push the fluid up to the master cylinder. Hopefully the air will come out with it.
Don't forget to mostly empty the master cylinder first. Keep an eye on the fluid level.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 114 Posts

And make sure you use fresh brake fluid from a sealed can. One opened the fluid will begin to take on moisture/air causing spongy brakes.
I had this problem once when I used fluid from a previously opened can. No matter how much I bled the fluid it would not feel firm when pulling on the lever. A new can of fluid cured the problem.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:30 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Why is my front brake spongy??? Help!

Use a bungy cord or rubber bands and wrap them around your lever and grip pulling the lever in toward the grip. Leave it on for 24 hours. Hopefully this will bleed out any air bubbles in the lines.

Dad's Bike (02-22-2023)
Old 07-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,760 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
Use a bungy cord or rubber bands and wrap them around your lever and grip pulling the lever in toward the grip. Leave it on for 24 hours. Hopefully this will bleed out any air bubbles in the lines.
Do the above and tap the full length of the brake line with screwdriver every so often to loosen any stubborn air bubbles. I did this and took the bike for a long ride. Brake has been solid since.

Dad's Bike (02-22-2023)
Old 07-06-2015, 02:57 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts
Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 PM
jmerchant.1
Cruiser

Thanks for the input fellas, bought a syringe to try bleeding it from the bottom and will try the rubber band method as well. I appreciate the feedback!

Old 07-07-2015, 01:38 PM
jjminch
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of these are good suggestions. I had a terrible time bleeding brakes when I installed a new MC/lines on a different bike. The bungie cord method didn't cure it, tapped, used fresh fluid, etc.

I ended up removing the calipers and hoisted them above the bars on a ladder. I just zip tied them in place. Then I bled them, tapped on lines, etc. A lot more air came out of them, since they were higher than the MC.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:29 PM
jmerchant.1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jjminch
All of these are good suggestions. I had a terrible time bleeding brakes when I installed a new MC/lines on a different bike. The bungie cord method didn't cure it, tapped, used fresh fluid, etc.

I ended up removing the calipers and hoisted them above the bars on a ladder. I just zip tied them in place. Then I bled them, tapped on lines, etc. A lot more air came out of them, since they were higher than the MC.
Might have to try that method next. I'm still baffled...I bought one of those syringes and did the reverse bleeding method. It seemed to work and my brake got firm but sure enough, the next day it was totally soft again. I just don't understand what is causing this. Like before it will get firm if I pump the lever enough but I shouldn't have to do that every day. It seems somehow air is slowly entering the line even with the bike sitting in my garage. What could be causing this?? Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Quick Reply: Why is my front brake spongy??? Help!