Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 03:53 PM
bell927
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dead battery

Have owned an 09 SuperGlide Custom for about 11 mos. Ride all year as much as possible and use a battery tender/trickle charger nearly all the time. Found battery with weak charge on morning after bike was plugged into charger all night...tender light was green. Later that night I tightened battery terminal bolts every so slightly and the bike started so I took a quick ride around block and plugged bike back into tender for the night. Next morning not totally charged again. Battery was purchased about 11 mos ago. HD battery. No codes showing up on bike just too weak to turn over engine. Could it be just dead battery...any info would be helpful.
Jason

Old 07-01-2015, 04:27 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Load test the battery, see if it fails. If you don't have one (tester), take the battery out and down to auto parts store or cycle shop to test.

Battery tenders usually only put out 6 volts or less with low amperage, so if you have a battery that is being drained by something on your bike, it may not keep up; or your battery tender is inop.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:44 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Do you have a volt meter?
Do an alternator check, start bike and test with meter on positive side of battery. Voltage should climb to 12.8-13.2, give or take. If voltage doesn't climb your alternator could be bad, or possibly generator.
Most likely battery-what kind of tender is it? If it's just the tender jr, it has only 2 amps, and if a battery is low, it isn't enough to bring it up to full charge.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:28 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If your battery is too dead to start your bike a tender is not the way to charge it back up. The tenders Ive had only put out between .75 - 1,25 amps depending on which brand/model. Do a load test, if the battery is ok dont rule out a faulty tender

Old 07-03-2015, 07:26 PM
bell927
Advanced

I put a multimeter on it and its reading 14.2 without any voltage drop. I tried to take it to Pep Boys and Auto Zone to get a load test but they don't test cycle batteries. I will take to my local shop next.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:31 PM
bell927
Advanced

I have a voltmeter but I can't start the bike because the battery is dead...I could jump via my car but heard that is a little risky for the electronics.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:32 PM
bell927
Advanced

I thought about the tender. It's maybe 4 yrs old. Battery Tender Plus.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Ironcleveland
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If tightening/moving the cables slightly made a difference, I'd remove and clean their contact points and try it. Could be as simple as a corroded connection there.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:19 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by bell927
I have a voltmeter but I can't start the bike because the battery is dead...I could jump via my car but heard that is a little risky for the electronics.
A 12 volt battery is a 12 volt battery. The difference is the amps available. Amps are an on-demand type of thing meaning the battery will only deliver the amps that the system demands at any time so unless you are already having a component failure pulling too much current with the charging system, there is very little possibility you will make things any worse.

Don't start the car engine, jump and crank your ride and check the charging system...15 minutes, tops, if you take your time...If you know how to use a multimeter and follow the steps, I have a hunch that you will find your problem.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:58 PM
bell927
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. I will try it all. I have my manual and have been plodding along trying different things as time allows. I used the multimeter to check battery, stator, and voltage regulator. All producing the expected readings based on my manual/how-to stuff online. I am starting to think it's a ground wire issue. As I was snooping around last night I found a broken wire that came off somewhere. It's a thin wire (20 or 16 gauge) so it's probably not a ground but it needs a home. I am going to work on it more after work tonight. The weather has been rainy and I am actually learning a few things so overall it's a positive experience. Thanks for everyone's advice!
Jason

Quick Reply: Dead battery