Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 fatbob suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:38 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 09 fatbob suspension upgrade

Hello all.
I am currently filling out 2015 bday/xmas/anniversary wish list. I was thinking about throwing some new shocks on there for my 09 Fat Bob. I'm 6', 220 lbs and usually ride solo. Currently the stock shocks and front springs seem ok, but I do get a nice jolt once in a while from some bumps. I kinda feel like the rear end is too stiff and front end too wimpy.

Anyway, I was thinking progressive 412 series, black. These should be an upgade over stock, right? Now, there's also the burley, which are cheaper - is there a major increase in quality from burley to progressive?

I'd like to upgrade the front end too, but not sure if I want to lower it. Currently the bike has lowering blocks in the rear with the stock shocks, and I kinda like the angle it sits at now.

Thanks.
Andy

Old 06-28-2015, 05:58 AM
zamiam
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of options out there and plenty ôf opinions on here. Alot depends on your budget. I decided to donthem because of front dive under braking and bottoming out on rear. Best money I've spent to be honest. Used to gave sire **** and lower back after an hour in the saddle. Now after full day no issues. Search the forum and read all the comments.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:28 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't go lower, retain your stock height or go higher. Lowering your bike actually detracts from performance. Slammed bikes can look sick, which is cool if you have a show bike, but I prefer a bike that you can ride.

I went with progressive 444's and Progressive drop in springs up front. I wrote up a review a while ago you can have quick look for. Only regret was not getting 13" shocks.

From the research I dd being in your same situation a few months back, the 412's are an upgrade over stock, but marginally. Personally, I would go the extra mile and buy something really good, your back will thank you.

Also check out works shocks, I think you can buy them via south east custom cycles. I think they custom build them for your weight. Many forum members rave about them.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:23 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive always been a believer on orderingthe best shocks you can afford. Your probably not going to notice much, if any diffrrence on the 412's unless you go longer than stock. also with your weight Id recommend not going with the heavy version. I went with the standard length progressive drop in springs. Not greatbut much better than stock. If you decideto go that routeshop aaround, I picked up the front ssprings for 65.00 (including shipping)

Old 06-29-2015, 08:14 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Ynots, not sure what you mean by don't get the heaviest shocks. Isn't it just the model of shock and length? (I'm talking progressives, not custom ones)

Old 06-29-2015, 08:42 AM
Andy02
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by apblingAEW
Ynots, not sure what you mean by don't get the heaviest shocks. Isn't it just the model of shock and length? (I'm talking progressives, not custom ones)
If you go to the Progressive website, they have a standard version and a heavy version. I could be wrong, but I think that is likely what he means.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Skins45
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy02
If you go to the Progressive website, they have a standard version and a heavy version. I could be wrong, but I think that is likely what he means.
That's correct. JP Cycles has both versions and in the "details" box you'll see STD or HD. Get the STD since you're primarily solo and don't weigh 250lbs.

Air ride out of the picture? I know that's a huge leap in budget but I guess it depends on just how much your wife loves you

Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Lol. She don't love me that much or care - she's got a sporty low and has 0 sympathy for my comfort level lol. She will ride that sporty all day and no complaints...

I guess I didn't realize they had two versions. I was just looking at Jp and Dennis Kirk.