Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protaper bars and homemade risers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 03:49 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Protaper bars and homemade risers.

Before.

First test, to see if the risers actually fit the bars.

Mockup.

I've had these Protaper bars laying around for a year. Now I decided to finally put them on. I don't like the look of the really tall bars without a fairing, and I just installed a smaller headlight so my Dougz-fairing is retired.

I think 6" risers would be Perfect, but since I haven't tried this setup before I decided to make my own 4,5" risers so I don't have to change the gas-/clutch-/brakelines.

Pretty happy With the result, and actually like the height, so I might stick With this setup.

Problem now is that the risers are pretty loose in the top tree. When I did the final torque on the riserbolts ( under the tree, not the riserclamps ) the bars twisted to the left. If someone holds the frontwheel and I put some force on the bars I can move them left and right.

A onepiece topclamp would probably fix this, but I'm not even gonna try to machine that. So now I'm ordering the poly bushings and hoping this will firm Things up.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:35 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Looks great, I really love those risers!

The poly bushings will help but you may find as I did the solid bushings are better yet. Running solids I don't notice any increased vibrations and the riser is rock solid on the upper clamp...

Old 06-27-2015, 06:53 AM
JayOhh
Tourer

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Looks great, I really love those risers!

The poly bushings will help but you may find as I did the solid bushings are better yet. Running solids I don't notice any increased vibrations and the riser is rock solid on the upper clamp...
Thanks. We didn't have any aluminum at work, so I used SAE 316 stainless. They're Heavy as h... No wheelies for me hehe...

I've red different experiences With the solid bushings. Some say they couldn't even ride With them because of vibrations. And at around $70 + shipping it's not Worth the risk.

I'm going to try the poly first. If they don't work, I'm just gonna make my own solid bushings.

Last edited by JayOhh; 06-27-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:02 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by JayOhh
I've red different experiences With the solid bushings. Some say they couldn't even ride With them because of vibrations. And at around $70 + shipping it's not Worth the risk.

I'm going to try the poly first. If they don't work, I'm just gonna make my own solid bushings.

Wow, spendy to get things when you're on your side of the big pond, you can get spoiled with the free or flat rate shipping when ordering items here. The poly bushings will make a big difference in the movement of the risers/bars you're having. I started using the polys with apes, lots of leverage on those bars so I ended up going to the solids; nice you've got the skills to make your own if you do decide to try them

Old 06-28-2015, 12:57 AM
jjminch
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are those 7/8 bars or 1"? I like the look. Sell me some risers!

Old 06-28-2015, 03:12 AM
atco
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayOhh
If you put your hand on top triple tree that's how it feels when solid. Fill your bar ends with lead, it will kill all vibration except idle shake.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:18 AM
J.Sizer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great I'm going to do some bars like yours on my bike soon.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you put washers that have a larger ID than the center metal sleeve of the riser bushings on both the top and bottom of the tree, then reassemble it effectively solid mounts your bars to the trees eliminating the flex and wobble. Do this all the time why buy expensive parts when 4 properly selected washers do the same trick.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:22 PM
JayOhh
Tourer

Originally Posted by jjminch
Are those 7/8 bars or 1"? I like the look. Sell me some risers!
7/8" with 1 1/8" center. Would probably be cheaper to buy risers in the US

Old 06-28-2015, 01:25 PM
JayOhh
Tourer

Originally Posted by J.Sizer
Looks great I'm going to do some bars like yours on my bike soon.

Thanks. Did a 124 mile run today. Bars feels great. A little sore in my back, but I'm guessing it's just because I'm not used to the position of the bars. A little longer reach than with the stockers.

Quick Reply: Protaper bars and homemade risers.