Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just passed MSF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:02 AM
dgi
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just passed MSF!

greetings to all... just wanted to say hi as i've wanted a harley for the past 5 years with a passion (but never had the time or luck to register for the MSF classes). I finally went through the class last weekend and am now looking for a good beginner bike. Probably picking up a kawasaki ex500 today or tomorrow but i digress...

went by the harley store a couple days ago and sat on a Night Rod Special... being 6'7" i was thrilled that i fit relatively comfortably on that model. I'm also a big fan of the black out treatment. Realizing however that there is more "value" to be had in a Street Bob (and knowing that with a forward control conversion i fit just as well) i'm wondering if maybe this should be my first harley?

I'm looking at it from a performance perspective... i want something that holds the harley tradition but is also sporty enough to throw through some twisties every now and then. That is originally why i was so drawn to the v-rod family of bikes. However, on the way to work this morning i saw a flat silver Street Bob and it got my mind thinking...

Would the owners of these bikes please comment on how "fun" the Bobs are in the turns? I realize that they probably have more torque in the lower revs than any of the V-rods, but i want all around performance. (and that sound doesnt hurt either lol).

Looking forward to joining the harley family soon (i feel that learning on something smaller is essential to building proper habbits so thats why i'm going for the POS rice rocket first) but would like some opinions on which bike will offer what im looking for.

PS: i was originally wowed by the Night Train so many years ago... again for its blacked out look. I still like them, but if i'm going for a traditional harley, the Dyna fits my preferences better.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jim.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts
Default RE: just passed MSF!

Congratulations.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:25 AM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Job -

And good thinking about starting off on something other than a $15K+ machine.

At your height you will find almost every motorcycle uncomfortable. I'm kind of surprised that the night rod fits you well.

I think the Bob with extended forwards should be high on your list.

Ride Safe.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:56 AM
matkiwi
Road Master

Just been for a run with a mate on his Ducati ... the Bob holds its own ... not as good on the bends but not bad either ... he was surprised ... for a fast Harley that handles well look at a Sporty Nightster ... if its not too small for you ... good starting bike that'll hold its value pretty well IMHO
Mat

Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 AM
black dyna
Tourer

you need a big bike no matter what brand it is.
wellcome to the forum.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 AM
hammerhead
Cruiser

congrats on the MSF. Can't go wrong with a dyna..agile, vtwin, price...

Old 04-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Imjonesy
Advanced

Where did you find that common sense? You might want to let others know. Congrats on getting started that proper way, on a bike you you can learn on and not mind as much should you drop it. Good job. My neighbor just brought a new 07 Bob home for his wife who just passed the MSF. I watched her ride it around the block. I hope they have good insurance. Actually, I saw her again later on the back of Hubbies bike. I'll bet by winter you can get a hell-of-a deal on that bike.

Imjonesy