Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderheader Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 04:06 PM
BobberG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thunderheader Again

Everyone knows the stories of Thunderheaders cracking, etc. But I haven't heard much about them in a while. Yea the new rage is stainless pipes, but I still see plenty of guys with TH. Anyone have any input on recent TH quality? Is it any better these days?

BTW I'm interested in the ceramic black.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:23 PM
rydercheers
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought a new one last year and haven't had any issues with mine. I read the horror stories of the mounts breaking and then pipes cracking but I think they redid the mount and it seems the cracking only come from wrapping the pipes. I went with chrome because I heard the black coating likes to fade fairly quick but everyone says a couple of coats of BBQ paint makes it look better than new and lasts longer.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:56 PM
freebaggin
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

I ran Thunderheader headers and slip-ons on my 03 EG for about 8 years, approx 30k miles on them, never had any issues. They were great and sounded awesome on that old 88.
No experience with them on a Dyna tho. Personally I haven't heard any horror stories about Thunderheader products myself other than sometimes they just arnt making them fast enough for the demand.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:58 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I know didley squat about the thunder headers but didn't you just buy a sweet little 2 Bros Racing pipe?

Ya want something longer don't ya

Old 06-15-2015, 07:59 PM
BobberG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Rydercheers and Freebaggin: that's all good to hear. It was always the mount and/or wrap that I heard about too.

Robbyville: I don't wanna hear it. hahaha I honestly like the TBR a lot...can only say good things about it. I originally was gonna start selling off parts to possibly sell the dyna this year but that quickly turned into just rebuilding it with cheaper parts. haha

Old 06-15-2015, 08:03 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Lol I hear you!

Old 06-15-2015, 10:37 PM
gnstalodz
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine cracked twice on the 99 fxdx. Had to pull and reweld a sold metal bar in the thing.... I'd do it all over again

Old 06-16-2015, 07:25 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Only 1.5 seasons on mine, but standing up good. No discolouration. Spends all time not riding under a roof (parkade or garage) which I suspect helps.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:57 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 839 Likes on 378 Posts

I've strayed from T-Headers on the last 2 bikes of mine (one had an RB Racing LSR, the other has a SuperTrapp 2-1) and I miss the t-header. For all their flaws there's something about that sound and the way they pull that's hard to replicate. I've only broken 1 mount out of 5 pipes and have never broken a pipe. I'm very careful when I install them though and make sure I don't bind the pipe or bracket at all. I really want one for my FXR, not that my SuperTrapp sucks but it's just not a T and I miss the sound lol.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:16 PM
xknucksx
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have one i bought off craigslist and now has about 50k miles on it, manufacture date is 06 so its been doing well but the black does fade up i sprayed it with vht heat paint its flat black but holds up nice.

Quick Reply: Thunderheader Again