Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Year Anniversay- Still Not Convinced

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:33 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,748 Likes on 829 Posts
Default Two Year Anniversay- Still Not Convinced

Today marks two years since I took delivery of a new FXDC. After 8 years of riding a Road King I switched to the Super Glide. A side by side comparison of the two will show the differences far outweigh the similarities. I expected the high speed interstate ride to be a two handed affair due to the difference in heft and the much smaller front end. What I wasn't expecting was the feeling of wandering off the straight line, like getting hit with a crosswind, even on a calm day. Several people on this forum have recommended upgrading the suspension as the first change to make on a new bike. Forum member lh4x4 has owned 50+ bikes in his 59 years of riding and states that the Supergide is the worst handling of all the Dynas. Is installing a True Track the answer? Should I invest another $1000 in progressive shocks and front suspension? At the end of the day should I just sell my FXDC and move on?
I am not saying I regret my purchase. I take this bike out for local blasts to the beach far more than I ever did with the "King". Just saying my expectations were perhaps not realistic.
What say you?

Last edited by Antonio Balls; 06-15-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:44 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Well I'm sure you'll get a million different responses from folks who either own the same bike and those that passed on it...

I'd simply say that if you don't enjoy riding it as much as another bike, and you don't have the urge or itch to jump on it every time you have to go somewhere then maybe it's time to start test riding other bikes. You're an experienced rider, just need to figure your ultimate goal and riding style and get the bike that suits it best, perhaps it's not FXDC. Albeit you can of course help your suspension and stability with aftermarket parts but if the overall feel is not right then why bother...

Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

You could try one of these.....Makes a huge difference in the stability of the bike.

Get some better shocks because the stock ones are JUNK!

I installed Hagon Nitro's....Huge improvement!

Pay close attention to tire inflation....A couple of PSI can make a big difference.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 742 Likes on 411 Posts

I've seen lh4x4's posts regarding the Super Glide not handling well. I'm guessing there had to be something wrong with his. I don't understand how a Street Bob and a Super Glide can handle differently--only real difference is the bars...

Maybe something is 'off' on yours as well. Rear wheel out of alignment? Fall away?

I have absolutely no issues with how mine handles.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the suspension upgrades for the handling aspect, but If it is crosswinds you're talking about then you're just comparing apples to oranges. This bike is never going to ride through any sort of cross winds (strong or mild) like a touring bike and that's all there is to that. So the answer to your question is no, upgraded suspension isn't going to make your bike ride any straighter through crosswinds, however it will shine in the corners though. I ride one handed all of the time at 80+ mph (before and after my progressives) and I don't have a problem sharing a lane with other bikes unless it's extremely windy. They're small nimble bikes. If there is cross winds you just get batted around. That's all there is to it...

Old 06-15-2015, 10:17 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

I would definitely check everything to make sure it isn't something "off" like others have mentioned. Can't believe the model is that bad and still in production.
Like Greesy said...rear stock shocks leave something to be desired. I installed Burly Slammers and the ride is almost the same. That much lowering should not be the same.
I'm also with Jesse on the wind thing. Just not going to resist the wind.
Like others said if you don't like the current bike then it may just be time to trade. Maybe you can rent some different models and get an idea of what works for you....?

Old 06-15-2015, 11:13 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Before I got my SG, my experience with riding Harley's was limited to a 72 FX pos that I owned briefly many years ago. My experience riding bikes spans off-road and street bikes My first big bike was a CB 750 followed by the FX, a 650 Bonnie bobber that I rode for years, and a few other similar sized bikes. I did not ride for many years but still had the bug and being empty nesters and still a few more years till retirement, I decided it was time to get back in the seat.

It is difficult to judge what bike is going to be a good fit when you have no real vision about how to enjoy it past just getting on the road and ride. I think a lot of us who rode when we where younger and take it up again later in life have a somewhat biased thought process when deciding what to ride today. Like me, I test rode several models, touring, Wide Glide, Softail Heritage, Electra Glide, Low Rider...all had good and bad points, mostly based on my rusty slow speed handling skills. I wasn't sure of anything except the FXD handled more like my previous street bikes and the old FX making me more at ease riding it which was a huge confidence builder.

I have been on the the Super Glide for going on 4 years now and my confidence with my skill level has increased to the point that I feel that I am ready to try one of the touring bikes I did not feel confident riding before...

I also got to spend a couple of months riding my son's '04 Low Rider almost every day...It is a nice bike but I think it handles a lot like the Wide Glide...great on the straight, drifts in the curves, and bitchy in the parking lot. I also found that I kept scraping the pegs in hard turns that would not be any issue with the Super Glide.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

My FXD doesn't wander unless there's imperfections in the road surface. At times, the front end can get skittish, but it goes back to the road surface. I finally replaced the rear shocks with Progressive 444's and that has helped ride comfort and overall handling.

As for forum member ih4x4, that's his opinion. Handling is more than what a two-wheeled barcalounger can provide. Given two riders with the same skill level, place them in the mountains, or anywhere where the road is not straight, the Super Glide will spank a touring model, or Softail for that matter. If you generally ride around down with a few trips sprinkled in, you can't beat a Dyna. If you travel all over the country, then you probably need a touring rig.

Last edited by Tony P; 06-15-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,748 Likes on 829 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
My FXD doesn't wander unless there's imperfections in the road surface. At times, the front end can get skittish, but it goes back to the road surface. I finally replaced the rear shocks with Progressive 4444's and that has helped ride comfort and overall handling.

As for forum member ih4x4, that's his opinion. Handling is more than what a two-wheeled barcalounger can provide. Given two riders with the same skill level, place them in the mountains, or anywhere where the road is not straight, the Super Glide will spank a touring model, or Softail for that matter. If you generally ride around down with a few trips sprinkled in, you can't beat a Dyna. If you travel all over the country, then you probably need a touring rig.
All good advice but you, Tony P, so far have the best because the photo Is the best.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
All good advice but you, Tony P, so far have the best because the photo Is the best.
LOL

Antonio, if your willing to spend money to make your Super Glide your own, you won't be disappointed. Start with the suspension and maybe a true-track. There's a lot of things that can make a difference, sometime alone, or in combination. I would upgrade the rear shocks and maybe add a set of progressive springs in the forks. Be careful with fork oil. I kept the stock springs and replaced the oil with SE and it was fine. Anything heavier and I would not have liked the ride. I may still replace the springs.

Quick Reply: Two Year Anniversay- Still Not Convinced