Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need new/different riser bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015 | 03:48 PM
Harper
|
Cruiser
Default Do I need new/different riser bushings?

I have a 2010 Wide Glide.
I added 2" riser extensions a while back but did not replace the bushings.
I have dropped the bike a couple times - both because I was on grass - nothing bad no busted lights, mirrors, or even a scratch.
Well, fast forward; my bars wiggle a little and don't quite look perfectly straight. I tried tightening the riser bolts, but that just seems to be a very slight improvement.
Do I need new bushings, or possibly the polyurethane ones?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2015 | 04:21 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

I'm one who's always posting about using solid bushings so I bet you know what I'm going to say

The rubber bushings allow a fair amount of movement of the riser and the more leverage you've got running higher bars the more you'll notice it. I'm running 2" riser extensions on my '13 Wide Glide, I replaced the rubber bushings almost immediately after buying the bike new, the bars/risers are solidly mounted to the upper clamp, I don't notice any increased vibrations or mirror blur.

You can also use the poly bushings as well, they're much better than the stock HD rubber bushings, the HD bushings don't seem to hold up well and begin to distort after a time, a simple drop in the grass might have been enough to push them over the edge and just like the front engine isolator, once the rubber distorts it's done for and most likely needs to be replaced with either another rubber set, the polys or a set of solids to get you back aligned and correct the movement.

Edited to add: These are the solid bushings I'm running, the look great on my '13, they're apparently out of stock right now but this is the link and and image of them.

http://www.demonscycle.com/chrome-ha...dson-4121.html

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 06-13-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2015 | 08:14 PM
Harper
|
Cruiser

I actually ordered those same bushings from DemonsCycle and they shafted me. They sent me an empty box and didn't refund me. I was going to buy some bars from them - oh well.

I was looking at the poly bushings. I think I'll go ahead an order them. I think your right, that drop in the grass didn't seem to do any harm, but the bars will move around now, and they used to be tight.

Old 06-13-2015 | 08:21 PM
JMummery
Road Captain

if you bars don't look straight, 1 they are probably bent or 2 you riser or clamp needs adjustment .. Unloosen everything and start from the triple tree and work up

Old 06-13-2015 | 08:22 PM
Harper
|
Cruiser

I can't help but wonder . . .
What if those rubber bushings saved me from bending something?

It seems to me like they went bad after I dropped it in the grass. Maybe you're right an that's all it took to ruin them, but what if I had solid mounts or the hard poly - I'm thinking it might be easier to bend something since those would have less give to them. What do you think?

Old 06-13-2015 | 08:28 PM
Harper
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JMummery
if you bars don't look straight, 1 they are probably bent or 2 you riser or clamp needs adjustment .. Unloosen everything and start from the triple tree and work up
I was thinking the same. I examined it closely, and the brake side riser is leaning back toward me slightly, making the bar look bent (although the bar is fine).

I took a good look and the bushing doesn't look like it's sitting right. I loosened the rider bolt and tightened them again, but I could still move the bars, which used to be very rigid.

I took the bolts out, inspected them, the extensions, and the risers and they are all good.

I didn't even think about taking the old bushings out and putting them back in. I bet if they were sitting right the bar would look better.

Old 06-13-2015 | 08:30 PM
JMummery
Road Captain

they are truly there to reduce vibration to your hands. When you go higher risers or bars your pressure fulcrum changes causing the rubber to give little. It could be coincidence that the rubber worn out right around the same time your dropped it and now you are thinking that way.

Old 06-13-2015 | 09:29 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

I just replaced mine with Polyurethane, a lot less give, about the same vibration maybe a little less. I am running 14" apes, with 1" extension.

Old 06-14-2015 | 01:23 AM
c-note
Road Master

$40 on poly bushings can't hurt. Your root cause may or may not end up being more severe, but at least you'll have new bushings. They are an easy diy swap.

Old 06-14-2015 | 06:57 AM
Harper
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the help everyone.
I'm just going to go ahead and order the poly bushings and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Do I need new/different riser bushings?