Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need new/different riser bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015 | 07:01 AM
Harper
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
I just replaced mine with Polyurethane, a lot less give, about the same vibration maybe a little less. I am running 14" apes, with 1" extension.
Did you do it when you put the apes on?
Are those Carlinis? Looks good.

Old 06-14-2015 | 09:00 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harper
I actually ordered those same bushings from DemonsCycle and they shafted me. They sent me an empty box and didn't refund me. I was going to buy some bars from them - oh well.

I was looking at the poly bushings. I think I'll go ahead an order them. I think your right, that drop in the grass didn't seem to do any harm, but the bars will move around now, and they used to be tight.

Really? I know I've read quite a few horror stories about Demon and try to never order from them but they were the only place I've seen with the chrome solid bushings and that's the only thing I've ever ordered from them. I've ordered 3 sets for 3 different bikes, I guess I got really lucky, sucks you didn't.

The poly bushings will work out very well and it's an easy install

Old 06-14-2015 | 09:24 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

I just put new poly riser bushings on mine when I went to 14" apes on the factory 2" risers and I'm happy with the results. Vibration at hwy speed is practically non existent now and the bars feel very solid. I may try solid bushings some time down the road just to experiment and see if I prefer the poly or solid, but I'll never go back to the rubber bushings again.

Old 06-14-2015 | 12:48 PM
dustyd
Intermediate

Sorry to thread hikack but where are you guys getting your poly bushings?

Old 06-14-2015 | 01:10 PM
Harper
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dustyd
I just ordered a set for about $9.00 from JPCycles.

Old 06-14-2015 | 06:29 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master

Originally Posted by dustyd
Amazon.

Old 06-14-2015 | 10:51 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harper
Did you do it when you put the apes on?
Are those Carlinis? Looks good.
Just took the riser bolts out and carefully set the apes on the tank, towel over tank of course.

The bars are actually from Demon Cycles, they are 14" El Diablo's. In retrospect I would have ordered the same style from Roland Sands. I think the extra coin would have been well spent in quality.

Old 06-27-2015 | 09:01 AM
Harper
|
Cruiser

Well, I tried re-fitting the old rubber bushings
then tried new poly bushings
then tried re-adjuating everything.

My bar has to be bent, even though I can't see it. On a positive note, I ordered some apes, risers, cables, and relo kit. I should get started in the next couple of days after my last package gets here.

Btw, I love those DemonsCycle bars, but I couldn't bring myself to order from them again. I found a deal on some 14" apes, but one day I'll spring for those RSDs.

Before and after pics soon to come . . .

Old 06-27-2015 | 09:39 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
I'm one who's always posting about using solid bushings so I bet you know what I'm going to say

The rubber bushings allow a fair amount of movement of the riser and the more leverage you've got running higher bars the more you'll notice it. I'm running 2" riser extensions on my '13 Wide Glide, I replaced the rubber bushings almost immediately after buying the bike new, the bars/risers are solidly mounted to the upper clamp, I don't notice any increased vibrations or mirror blur.

You can also use the poly bushings as well, they're much better than the stock HD rubber bushings, the HD bushings don't seem to hold up well and begin to distort after a time, a simple drop in the grass might have been enough to push them over the edge and just like the front engine isolator, once the rubber distorts it's done for and most likely needs to be replaced with either another rubber set, the polys or a set of solids to get you back aligned and correct the movement.

Edited to add: These are the solid bushings I'm running, the look great on my '13, they're apparently out of stock right now but this is the link and and image of them.

http://www.demonscycle.com/chrome-ha...dson-4121.html

Whoa, whoa, whoa......I have NEVER heard you recommend solid bushings.....

LOL