Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Wrap issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:12 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm no expert but wrap has been used for years on bikes and cages. Never heard of it getting the pipes too hot. It's advertised as the opposite often. Heat shields aren't too protect the pipe, but to protect your body from the heat.
I think what the other guy (sorry don't remember name and I can't see it on phone) was trying to say worth the temp readings was bare pipe and wrapped pipe were the same temperature. Shields were lower, most likely because they block the heat.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:24 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 06-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Tat2dale
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent Hickman
I am all excited about using DEI Titanium exhaust wrap. When I told my buddy about it, he asked if it does anything to the exhaust. How long does it last? does it void any warranty? I do not want to put it on and in two years my pipes are rusted out or my warranty goes to crap. Any knowledge and experience with these or any wraps is appreciated!
Nothing lasts forever. It's your bike do what you want to it.
I am sure you could get take off pipes on any online classifieds for cheap for your bike if you had to.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:35 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Lama
I rest my case.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:37 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lama

The temperature readings say you should get your headers coated. It seems that is an advertisement for header coatings. Mine are ceramic coated already so I don't need to send them off now.
I've thrown towels fresh out of the dryer onto a pile on the bed...they did not hold on heat like was said. Maybe I'm using the wrong fabric softener.....

I just did some looking up on the ol' interweb and found a few sites saying it will only damage the pipes if they are cheap low quality units.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 06-08-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:55 PM
fxdlx
Road Master

I got woke up from my rest!
See pix for what can happen from exhaust wrap.

Edit: In the interest of full disclosure, this damaged pipe was a 2 into 1. It's likely that they don't expand/contract as well as 2-2 pipes and the pipes run hotter with the wrap on. I don't buy the tests which show they don't run hotter with wrap, unless you check under the wrap, while the engine is running.
I don't care what anybody does with their pipes, in fact I like the look of wrapped pipes. I only post to shown what can happen. I know I won't risk another set of pipes.

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Wrap issues-dsc00865.jpg   Exhaust Wrap issues-dsc00866.jpg  

Last edited by fxdlx; 06-09-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:10 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never saw the logic in pipe wrap, looks good on some bikes, but I feel like some overdue it. Like anything thy'll work fine if you're diligent and follow directions, but why add the potential for the headache with cracked pipes? Especially when pipe manufacturers specifically state it is not advisable.

My TH generates a lot of heat, the last thing I want that pipe to do is hold the heat.....getting burned sucks too. Never had an issue with heat shield on the head pipes.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 AM
fxdlx
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I just did some looking up on the ol' interweb .
It must be true then.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Mandalorian
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I am thinking that, based on the group, there are some who say good, some who say bad. I myself like the look and if I have to get new pipes later then thats just more time to turn a wrench! I enjoy reading the threads on here because of the opinions and experiences.

Safe riding to all!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by fxdlx
It must be true then.

I'm glad you caught that!! I was trying to respond to Lama's post. That is the problem with looking things up online....you can find something that "supports" your opinion.

What brand/model was your pipe? I found several sites that said it will crack if it is not a high quality pipe. Just trying to find evidence to either prove or disprove these statements.
I did find several that said to make sure your bike is not running lean. Stating this causes excessive heat. Makes sense. Don't know if that is everyone's "loophole" excuse when some do crack.

I've had friends that have run it with no problems. Most with stock or inexpensive 2 into 2 pipes. They didn't ride their bikes very far though, so don't know if that had any effect.

C-Note I agree with you about the looks. I like them on more of a Rat Rod Bobber then a chrome *****. Looks rough/tough so the rest of the bike needs to match IMO. Looks out of place on a Ness hamster if you will. This is just my opinion though so not worth anything as far as evidence.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 06-09-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap issues