Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air cleaner question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:50 PM
user 8382390
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Air cleaner question

2015 wide glide. All stock except for cosmetics. Not a big fan of the teardrop air cleaner. Harley sells a round air cleaner cover for $ 49. Is this a simple swap out of covers only or do I have to then change the throttle body as well? Please do not suggest going stage 1 or other options. I prefer to stay stock on my engine components, exhaust and breather. Just like the look of the round cleaner and don't want to turn this into a chain of events and changes.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:58 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The round cover wont look right if your filter isnt round. An after market AC assembly uses the factory throttle body but come with a new backing plate that matches the shape of the filter

Old 05-28-2015, 10:06 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Air filter, backing plate, & cover is what you need. Look on the forums here or C List, Ebay, etc. You can get a better price b on the whole set up since you don't want stage 1. Simple swap. A few bolts is all. Use blue Loctite on them. You can look up a video online for a stage 1 setup. Pretty much same thing, just different shapes.
Just a FYI Harley sells Stage 1 setbups. Screamin Eagle. Factory options if you may. If you still don't want to you can get the regular.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 05-28-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM
user 8382390
Banned
Default Thanks

Will that change force me into the stage 1 upgrade? In other words, more air, a program flash, etc or will the air flow not increase which won't prompt other changes? Pardon my ignorance on this. If you are wondering why I don't want to make changes to performance I prefer to stick with the stock settings. Kind of feel like it was designed and built to run that way and changes require more changes sometimes to the worst for fuel economy, longevity, etc.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:52 AM
Petro
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen the round Air cleaners (Full stock systems that come off of the newer Street Bobs) all over the classifieds on here. I thought about that route on my 2012 before I just went the DK Customs Full System route. It should only be a matter of changing the backing plate, filter and cover.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:19 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Widm118
Will that change force me into the stage 1 upgrade? In other words, more air, a program flash, etc or will the air flow not increase which won't prompt other changes? Pardon my ignorance on this. If you are wondering why I don't want to make changes to performance I prefer to stick with the stock settings. Kind of feel like it was designed and built to run that way and changes require more changes sometimes to the worst for fuel economy, longevity, etc.
If your just changing the ac and leaving the stock exhaust you dont need to worry about a program flash or tuner. To meet EPA requirements the factory bikes are setup to run lean which causes them to run hotter than a lot of people desire. Your not going to lose any longevity or mpg by doing a complete stage 1.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:22 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Widm118
As ynots said a stage 1 will not cost extra fuel, it will use fuel more efficiently. And no you won't ever be forced into a full stage one by changing the air filter only as stated. Put it this way; your system will be capable of more air but if you don't open the exhaust you can't force your motor into taking more air. you can only suck in as much as your letting out.

Last edited by maddghost; 05-29-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:59 AM
user 8382390
Banned
Default THanks

Thanks for the info. Always pick up good advice and tips from the forum.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Dyna_Dave
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petro
I have seen the round Air cleaners (Full stock systems that come off of the newer Street Bobs) all over the classifieds on here. I thought about that route on my 2012 before I just went the DK Customs Full System route. It should only be a matter of changing the backing plate, filter and cover.
Second that. If you get this Street Bob A/C backing plate and/or entire intake assembly you won't have to tune or change anything else.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:07 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

And one final thought, replacing the entire A/C and going to a breather system that vents to atmosphere instead of dumping the oily gas back in to the throat of the throttle body will make your HD much happier. That is so nasty...

I'm running the DK Custom breather bolts with their 587 A/C, those bolts are simple, they look and work great... and I'm sure it makes the EPA unhappy, so I'm happy

Quick Reply: Air cleaner question