Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Bolt Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Stripped Bolt Help

The pictures aren't great in helping to describe what I've got going on but. I was mounting DK Customs Highway Peg Adjustable Mounting bracket. Brake lever side, no problem. Clutch side the bolt seized and I stripped the head. I've dealt with this before but since it was seized my extractor wouldn't work. So I started drilling, the head of the bolt came off so I grabbed my vise grips and started twisting then I broke what part of the bolt was sticking out off. Long story short now I have essentially a hollow bolt stuck about halfway in. I'm sure I'm going to have to get it re-tapped so should I just keep drilling? I've drilled all the way through so its hollow. Bigger and bigger drill bits? Should I take it to a dealership? I don't want it to void my warranty since it's technically part of the frame I guess? I've scratched the area all to hell. Sucks, I was really looking forward to having these on.

Attached Thumbnails Stripped Bolt Help-img_20150524_175222645_hdr.jpg   Stripped Bolt Help-highway-peg-stripped.jpg  
Old 05-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

You got a good grab hole now. Your saying your extractor set won't grab that?
Ez out no good??

Old 05-24-2015, 05:51 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

take a plumbers torch and heat the frame part downwards, don't heat the bolt itself the idea is to expand the part around the bolt, then e-z out the little sucker. It's all scratched up now so after the bolt is out you can strip the paint right down and re-paint it, otherwise drill it and tap it to spec which is probably best and simplest. make sure you are going straight in, No i would not take it to the dealer and that will never void your warranty.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:53 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

You may have to heat it with a torch and rap on it with a hammer, then extract

Old 05-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Well I haven't tried the extractor since I broke that big piece off. Guess it's worth a shot.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:33 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Extractor

Buy a new easy out and don't try to use the damaged one...

Old 05-24-2015, 10:51 PM
Ironcleveland
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any machine shop will have this out with minimal time/effort if you are not comfortable with this time of work. Not trying to be an ***, but I don't want you to bugger up your frame if you're unsure about this.

Attached Thumbnails Stripped Bolt Help-ae321fbc9750b2e05fde7ea817d2d789.jpg  
Old 05-24-2015, 11:19 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure if you got your project done or not, but I would grind off what is left of the broken bolt. Flush to the frame. Get a drill bit that fits in the hole to the left,(in your picture). Run that bit through the bad hole and re-tap.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:23 AM
97 dyna lowrider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do have reverse (threaded ) if you will. Drill bits

Old 05-25-2015, 07:40 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,928 Likes on 19,373 Posts

You've gotten off center and that will be a problem drilling it any bigger. Also using an Easy Out ( or similar extractor ) will be a problem because it will be grabbing the "frame" as you try to use it. Patience is in order here. Step back and take a deep breath. Heat is an option, however you could/should try a penetrating oil and give it time to work. Then I'd recommend some vibration and a punch/chisel to try and move/collapse the bolt. The vibration will ( generally ) allow the penetrate to get further into the threads and will aid in the loosening of the bolt. A "not too sharp" chisel will be an asset also. Too sharp of a chisel will cut what's left of the bolt off and make it harder to work with. Did I mention patience?

Quick Reply: Stripped Bolt Help