Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 12:10 AM
dragsta
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problems

Today, my 04, Superglide started doing some funky stuff. The horn, signals, speedo, and brake light quit working. When I turned on the key, the signals would go into flasher mode for about 7 flashes then quit. I thought that I had serious problems. I looked at the fuses, they were a bit corroded but no biggie. The dealer said that it was corrosion on the accessory fuse. He replaced the fuse and all is well.

But why would the fuses be corroded on an 04 bike that is kept not in the garage but in the house and has only been ridden in the rain a few times? I think I know. The fuse box cover was poorly designed. Every time I wash my bike, water drains down over the fuses. Now I have to figure out a fix because HD screwed up.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:36 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: electrical problems

That sounds odd, but how about a piece of inner tube like from a truck or car that could be cut to fit inside the frame rails and cover that portion of the bike that has the fuse panel in it. You could even leave the leading edge a bit long so it hung over the foward edge of that area. It could alse be a result of an overcharging battery as the fumes (hydrogen gas) are pretty corrosive to metal parts. You may want to check the condition of your charging system as well.

Old 09-18-2005, 06:29 PM
dragsta
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electrical problems

Thanks for the input. I think that I will get a plastic baggie or something similar and put it over the fuses before I reinstall the cover. Or put some tape or adhesive weather strip down there.

It's not a charging system problem. After I washed my bike yesterday, I opened that cover and ALL of the fuses and contacts were wet. It's just a dumbass Harley design. I mean, keeping the fuses dry is a basic of motorcycle building and it's a safety concern as well.