Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burly bars cables installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 PM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default burly bars cables installed

Just finished up installing the burly 12" narrow bottom apes and their 12" cable kit. This was my first time taking the bike apart to this level and it really wasn't that bad. I had one little hiccup with the clutch cable/clutch cover. Some how the threads got boogered up and I had to retap the cover to get the cable to screw in. I also got a c&c fastback seat a couple of weeks ago which I love. I haven't ridden with the bars yet, but I did go down the street and it feels way different. I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to it. I had drag bars on the bike before and had plenty of wire in the neck. The throttle seems really sensitive now, but it could just be in my head. The burly cables seem to be of good quality. I went back and forth on weather or not to get the 12"s or the 14's and I'm glad I went with the 12's. Here are a couple of pics...Thinking a set of white walls would complete the look?

Edit: Forgot to add, the risers are 1.5" la choppers brand with the smooth top...while this looks better than having the screws exposed, it makes it nearly impossible to tighten down the bars cause the wrench hits the top of the tripple, so you have to remove the bars and risers as one and tighten them down that way. Total PITA and I wish I would have thought that thru before ordering those.

Last edited by tfalcon; 05-08-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks good. I've got 14" black Burly apes, they look good with the trees and fork lowers being black.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:28 AM
kevjprince
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ape_Hanger
Looks good. I've got 14" black Burly apes, they look good with the trees and fork lowers being black.
Can you tell me what the length was for those cables. Like stock plus what? I got the same bars but thinking of going Barnett for the cables. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Ape_Hanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjprince
Can you tell me what the length was for those cables. Like stock plus what? I got the same bars but thinking of going Barnett for the cables. Thanks.
The best way to do it is to mount the bars, and measure what length you need and round up to the next size. I went with the Black Pearl finish from Magnum Shielding. Unless your bike has the same length stock cables as mine, the stock plus measurement I used won't work. I had 12" apes for the last 7 years and used all stock cables and wiring, I did have to reroute the throttle cables so they weren't running through the trees. With 14" bars on mine, +2 or +4 cables are plenty long enough. Any longer and I would've been swimming in extra cable length which looks bad to me.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Ironcleveland
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great!

Old 05-17-2015, 11:26 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Bars look great, nice work! JMO but I would skip the white walls, the dark red rims and white walls would be a little too much. The next thing I would do is relocate the front turn signals to clean up your new bars. Find some black turn signals or black housings for the front and rear.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:41 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Looks good! I would go with white walls.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 PM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about relocating the signals while I had everything apart, but honestly I kinda like them up there, or at least it doesn't bother me. Still haven't had a chance to ride it yet with work and rain everyday.