Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

caliper doesnt fit with me rim

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:15 PM
apetterez
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caliper doesnt fit with new rim

Im so pissed. Got the new wheel in last month. Got the new tire tube and mounted today. Uninstalled old mag and proceeded to install new wheel. Everything went normal like a usualy wheel install....got the disk mounted and torqued the axel mounted and torqued the fender mounted and then went to the caliper. Thats when i realized the spokes prevent the caliper from being mounted......uninstalled and then tried to finagle the caliper on while the wheel was unmounted. No juice. the spokes prevent the caliper from being alide over the disk enough to mount to the fork tube.. **** my life. Im in this wheel tires tube mounting and balancing like 360.......

Last edited by apetterez; 05-07-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

If it was me, I'd buy a Ness Big Brake kit ($270 or thereabouts). Its 15" disc and caliper mount extender should push your caliper away from the center of the wheel far enough that it will clear those spokes.

But I'm a lemons into lemonade kinda guy and always use one mis-matched part as a flimsy excuse to buy another part! If the bigger disc didn't work I'd look for a groovy low-profile caliper, etc ad infinitum!

Seriously though, the Ness kit is probably cheaper than a new caliper and should do the trick.

Otherwise, the cheapest option might be to grind the caliper down a touch (I recall that Joe/PowderPro did it, but I could be wrong...).

Last edited by Davdoodles; 05-07-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Ironcleveland
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's too bad. Not sure if you want to put more money into it, but I bet it would work with this installed. http://www.arlenness.com/prodcat/Rotor9.asp Plus you'll have a better front brake.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Ironcleveland
Tourer

I guess davdoodles types faster than me

Old 05-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,608 Likes on 848 Posts

I didn't have any problems like that when I laced a 21" rim onto my Street Bob hub. I do notice from your picture that you have half of your spokes coming from the outside of the hub flange, and half coming from the inside of the hub flange. The Caliper is probably hanging up on those spokes coming from the outside of the flange. When I laced mine I had all the spokes coming from the inside of the hub flange:

Good Luck

Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 PM
bobscogin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Crazy
I do notice from your picture that you have half of your spokes coming from the outside of the hub flange, and half coming from the inside of the hub flange.
Good eye. Aren't all the spokes supposed to be laced from the inside like yours?

Bob

Old 05-08-2015, 12:15 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Where do you get the wheel? Too bad talk to seller, I am sorry to hear that. Possibly different lace pattern I guess.

I have 21x3 wheel caliper cleared. Same year 06/07 as far as I can tell.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:28 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

How much clearance do you need? If its not a lot you can try shaving the caliper down. We do that with some supermoto bikes when we switch to different calipers. Just be careful. I don't know how much extra material is on the back side. If you take off too much you'll be int he market for a new caliper.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:01 AM
cthagreekgod
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys are right, the wheel is laced incorrectly. Everything should be coming from the inside of the hub. That should get you the clearance that you need.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:27 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

If that is a reused Dyna hub much like the one Crazy has, then who ever ordered the spokes to do the lacing didn't order the right spokes for the hub. They all look to be the same length from the hub notch to the bend, the ones you would need to lace the hub correctly would require half of them to be longer then the other half, this way they can over lap each other. Here is a pic and a link of some high quaility spokes you could maybe used to solve your problem if the ones you have won't work.

Hope you solve you problem soon.

http://www.buchananspokes.com/produc...y_davidson.asp

Quick Reply: caliper doesnt fit with me rim