Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memphis shades review/complaint

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 05:47 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 762 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Memphis shades review/complaint

Just thought i would share my experience with memphis shades for everyone. I was looking for a windshield for my low rider that was affordable and not giant. i wasn't expecting much protection but just a little pressure off the chest on the highway. So i ordered a Del Rio sportshield with the detachable hardware.

First thoughts, the windshield is nice quality and the mounts aren't too bad either. The way they package the mounting hardware makes it impossible to repackage. Once its opened, its open.

I installed all the mounts and windshield in about 20 minutes, very easy to do. I went out on my first test ride right after, above 30 mph the buffetting was very bad. I stopped to make adjustments and tried again, now the buffetting was a little better but only up until 40 mph. I stopped and made the last adjustment to try and push the wind over my head. No luck, it only made it slightly better up until 50 mph. Anywhere past that its unbearable to ride. It shakes me so bad it almost makes me sick to my stomach and blurs my vision.

Ok so i don't like the windshield, i probably went too small. I called my local harley dealer that i had ordered it from and they told me i could return it but it was a 20% restocking fee, fine. I show up at the dealer with all the parts in the box expecting to return it, maybe swap to a bigger windshield or just pick up some other accessories. The parts guy says since its opened they will have to call drag specialties (which is who they ordered from). Drag specialties tells me that since its opened, there isn't anything they can do about it, i should contact memphis shades themselves. So the dealer then calls memphis shades and explains the situation, same deal. No returns. They can make an exception and return my mounting hardware for a 20% restocking fee along with a shipping fee to them, a repackaging fee, and a shipping fee back to dealer for stock. What about my windshield? What good is it to return the mounting hardware (for a hefty penalty on my return price) if i can't also return my windshield?

So long story short, how am I supposed to determine A. if the windshield fits properly or B. if i like it. Without opening the thing? I expect a company to stand behind their product, instead they basically tell me to F off, im stuck with it. If all companies did this then anyone could sell you any kind of piece of crap and not have to stand behind anything.

I e-mailed customer service at memphis shades and haven't heard anything back as of yet. And they have had plenty of time. If they can't make this right i will never spend another dime of my money towards their products and I will be sure all of my friends and family along with anyone who asks my opinion of them know how this has played out as well.

cliffs: Memphis shades doesn't stand behind their product, if you order from them i hope you are happy because they won't do anything if youre not.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:34 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 670 Posts

You special ordered something. Took it out of the packaging and installed it and used it. It wasn't to your liking not because of an imperfection but because you made the error and went too small. And now you want them to go out on a limb for you. Sounds like you are the one at fault here man. I could understand if it was a defect on the vendors part but it's not. Good luck though I hope it works out for you

Old 05-07-2015, 07:15 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by misfitJason
You special ordered something. Took it out of the packaging and installed it and used it. It wasn't to your liking not because of an imperfection but because you made the error and went too small. And now you want them to go out on a limb for you. Sounds like you are the one at fault here man. I could understand if it was a defect on the vendors part but it's not. Good luck though I hope it works out for you
The way I see it, it's not a special order. It's not like it's custom made. I ordered a product that didn't work as advertised. I expect the company to stand behind it instead of selling a **** product. Or If you're gonna sell a **** product it would be real nice to have something along the lines of "once opened product may not be returned" listed somewhere. not only that it's not even that I didn't like it, I was happy with the product, until I realized it made riding my motorcycle unbearable

Old 05-07-2015, 07:33 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

"A sleek sporty look in a larger package, the Del Rio is a great choice to add protection and style to your Harley Davidson motorcycle. With it's 19" width and 15" height above the headlight, the Del Rio keeps it's sleek and slender looks with more protection than is offered with the Del Rey.
  • Good torso protection in a sleek windshield design
  • Measures 19” Width X 15” Height above headlight
  • Fits all round headlights
  • Seven gradient translucent colors as well as solar
  • Made of Lucite© for excellent clarity and weather-resistance
  • All hardware is CNC-machined billet aluminum and polished stainless steel
  • Quick disconnect mounting hardware sold separately"
Where exactly did this "product that didn't work as advertised" go wrong? I don't see anything advertised it the discription above, which is taken directly from their sight, that you camplained about in your intial post. My understanding is that the product did in fact work as advertised, it's more that you were looking to get something a large shield would provide, but didn't want to order a large shield.

My advise, do what most people do when they buy a product and aren't happy with the way it works but does work as advertised, cut your loses and sale it, then buy something different.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:56 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blueangel73
"A sleek sporty look in a larger package, the Del Rio is a great choice to add protection and style to your Harley Davidson motorcycle. With it's 19" width and 15" height above the headlight, the Del Rio keeps it's sleek and slender looks with more protection than is offered with the Del Rey.
  • Good torso protection in a sleek windshield design
  • Measures 19” Width X 15” Height above headlight
  • Fits all round headlights
  • Seven gradient translucent colors as well as solar
  • Made of Lucite© for excellent clarity and weather-resistance
  • All hardware is CNC-machined billet aluminum and polished stainless steel
  • Quick disconnect mounting hardware sold separately"
Where exactly did this "product that didn't work as advertised" go wrong? I don't see anything advertised it the discription above, which is taken directly from their sight, that you camplained about in your intial post. My understanding is that the product did in fact work as advertised, it's more that you were looking to get something a large shield would provide, but didn't want to order a large shield.

My advise, do what most people do when they buy a product and aren't happy with the way it works but does work as advertised, cut your loses and sale it, then buy something different.
You quoted it. "Good torso protection" this product offers no torso protection . or maybe it shook my head so damn bad I couldn't feel it. I guess if I wanted a $250 head Shaker I got what I ordered. You guys must love getting raped by bullshit products. But you're right, I'll cut my losses but I'll warn people to stay away from a terrible company and product while I'm at it.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:01 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

windshields are never allowed to be returned once opened, even if you buy a Harley shield from a dealer it's the same policy.

I believe you can use the same hardware for a bigger shield..

I've never experienced this buffering, but this is why I wear a full face helmet.

are you saying this del rio shield is worse than having no shield at all? maybe it was bad wind & not the shield?

if you have a dremel you could cut the shield shorter

Last edited by LunaticFringe; 05-07-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:08 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Did you actually pay $160 for mounting hardware? That fairing is only $90 on the MS site.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:14 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
windshields are never allowed to be returned once opened, even if you buy a Harley shield from a dealer it's the same policy.

I believe you can use the same hardware for a bigger shield..

I've never experienced this buffering, but this is why I wear a full face helmet.

are you saying this del rio shield is worse than having no shield at all? maybe it was bad wind & not the shield?

if you have a dremel you could cut the shield shorter
I didn't know they couldn't be returned, the dealer didn't tell me, their website doesn't list it, none of the paperwork listed it either. I too wear a full face, and yes this windshield is worse than no shield. I went out to ride and came back home and put it in my truck before returning to riding for the rest of the day. I tried it in the city, on backroads, and on the highway on 2 seperate days. I figured I could use a bigger shield on this hardware which was originally my plan when I went to return it. But I would rather trash this thing than spend another dime with memphis shades. It's a shame too. I could have returned my $87 windshield and spent more money with them on a bigger shield. But now they have lost my business as well as my dad was going to order a windshield, as was a friend, and a coworker was going to order a batwing fairing.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:17 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Did you actually pay $160 for mounting hardware? That fairing is only $90 on the MS site.
No, but after tax for everything was $241. I rounded up. My bad

Old 05-07-2015, 08:45 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

You could try this...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...em-solved.html
Mobile site keeps crashing when I try to add a link....

Quick Reply: Memphis shades review/complaint