Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift linkages - forwards - what options are there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:59 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Shift linkages - forwards - what options are there?

I've been considering changing my shift linkage out for the heim joint style. Looks like 06+ Dyna's are the oddball with a 14 5/8" center to center rod length that isn't threaded on the ends. I know I can make one if I go buy a 5/16-24 die and some heim joints. I'd prefer to find something nice looking but there's slim pickings without spending $$$. All the ones on eBay are ugly and made in China.

Kuryakyn makes an extended rod but it starts at 15" adjustable to 15 1/2". Not sure I want longer than I have.

Am I missing an option out there that isn't crazy expensive? The HD offerings are nice but $90+.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 AM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went with http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-shift-linkage myself. Yea it was a bit pricey, but it looks so damn good on my Bob!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Shift Linkage

It's some footwork but you can buy chromed heim joints (rod end bearings) on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-FEMAL...8986a8&vxp=mtr

You can then have your forwards shift rod chromed or buy one from a big box home store and have it chromed. Be careful what type steel rod you buy..I bought some stainless steel rods on ebay, to make a shift rod from. It turned out to be so hard that you had to put the threads on a lathe. It ate 2 5/16x24 dies quickly. The Kuryakyn rod would have to be shortened but that seems like an easy solution.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:33 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

If you don't mind running an extended rod your options open up, I wanted to avoid the HD stuff since everyone uses it and I wanted to keep with the flame pattern of my Wide Glide's paint so I found a flame/tribal billet shift rod with heim joints, the billet is 11 3/4", with the heim joints adjusted as close as possible the hole to hole OAL is 15 7/8", I had to adjust the shift lever a spline or two but no issues other than that. One benefit of the longer shift rod linkage is you've got more clearance to remove the oil filter, with the stock setup it was tight, more clearance less chance of a mess when you remove the oil filter

I used 5/16 - 24 bolts and the stock acorn nut on the front. I used polished stainless steel washers as spacers to be certain the shift rod linkage was running parallel to the primary and I added the Kuryakyn chrome 1068 transmission shift arm to dress it up a bit more, I like the oversized shift linkage rods so this worked out for me If it wasn't raining right this instant I'd have moved her outside and taken better pictures!

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 05-06-2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: second image
Old 05-06-2015, 10:59 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
I've been considering changing my shift linkage out for the heim joint style. Looks like 06+ Dyna's are the oddball with a 14 5/8" center to center rod length that isn't threaded on the ends. I know I can make one if I go buy a 5/16-24 die and some heim joints. I'd prefer to find something nice looking but there's slim pickings without spending $$$. All the ones on eBay are ugly and made in China.

Kuryakyn makes an extended rod but it starts at 15" adjustable to 15 1/2". Not sure I want longer than I have.

Am I missing an option out there that isn't crazy expensive? The HD offerings are nice but $90+.

Hey Matt,

Not sure what style you are looking for, but we do offer **** Linkages with the Heim Joints.

Our shift linkages are made here in the USA.
They are made from quality Cold Rolled Steel, Precision cut with a Water Jet,coupled with quality heim joints & SS fasteners to Last a Lifetime. A polished Acorn nut is also included to cap the front bolt.

Below is the Chrome Flame Shift Linkage w/ Heim Joints.

You can also see our variety of Shift Linkages at this LINK.

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 05-06-2015, 11:48 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
If you don't mind running an extended rod your options open up, I wanted to avoid the HD stuff since everyone uses it and I wanted to keep with the flame pattern of my Wide Glide's paint so I found a flame/tribal billet shift rod with heim joints, the billet is 11 3/4", with the heim joints adjusted as close as possible the hole to hole OAL is 15 7/8", I had to adjust the shift lever a spline or two but no issues other than that. One benefit of the longer shift rod linkage is you've got more clearance to remove the oil filter, with the stock setup it was tight, more clearance less chance of a mess when you remove the oil filter

I used 5/16 - 24 bolts and the stock acorn nut on the front. I used polished stainless steel washers as spacers to be certain the shift rod linkage was running parallel to the primary and I added the Kuryakyn chrome 1068 transmission shift arm to dress it up a bit more, I like the oversized shift linkage rods so this worked out for me If it wasn't raining right this instant I'd have moved her outside and taken better pictures!

Thanks for posting. I was curious if a longer rod would cause issues but it seems to be fine. That does open up more options, like this one:

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/s...102_3298247_-1

Which I found cheaper elsewhere. Might go that route.

I just want a plain rod but polished no flames, skulls, etc.