Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines BSS power loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance and Hines BSS power loss

I just installed these pipes with their fuel pax3 and SE intake and it feels like I loss some low end power over a stock bike. Has anyone else notice this or is it me? The pipes and intake look sweet! I love the sound of these pipes but at idle and low rpms it's loud! Real loud over stock. At 50-60mph it's perfect not to loud or annoying at all. The intake does stick out a hair more than stock cleaner but shows more of the motor and really looks good. I'm happy in general but thought I'd gain power over stock and my short ride doesn't support that!

Old 05-04-2015, 11:53 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I only had my pipes on for about 10 miles before I installed the BSS on mine. Not really long enough to make a comparison but I couldnt imagine that you would have lost power over the stock pipes. Have you checked to make sure the headers are seated all the way?

These pipes are loud, throw some Monster Baffles in there and they are even louder

Old 05-05-2015, 06:53 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I'm currently running my third set of V&H Big Shots Staggered, they look great and I installed them on my '13 Wide Glide and I know exactly what you're referring to, the BSS's soften the low and mid-range performance. On my '13 I'm tuning with a Power Vision, started with a great map from FuelMoto with multiple autotune runs to really dial her in but as you've now noticed, you can't tune out certain pipe design aspects and get that bottom end back

The solution I've found to really help with the low and mid-range performance with the BSS's is to remove the stock baffles and install DK Custom Thunder Torque Inserts. I've used them on all 3 BSS installs. The TTI's do help bring back the lows and mid-range and they deepen the tone of the exhaust pulling out that bit of brightness I always seem to hear in the BSS's. If you like the sound now you'll love it after the TTI's

The TTI's are not too difficult to install but you'll most likely find as I have after now doing my 3rd set of TTI's in Big Shots Staggered pipes you'll need to remove the exhaust from the bike to install them, the location of the baffle hole is on the back side of the header pipe once installed and it's going to be difficult to get to, you need to enlarge the hole to 3/8". With the design of the full coverage heat shields and their tight fit I've needed to cut notches in the shields for the TTI mounting locknut to slide through to properly install the heat shields. You could also drill a hole in the heat shields larger than the locknut but then you'll always need to remove the TTI's before you can remove the heat shields, cutting the notches in the shields will allow you to remove and install the shields without disturbing the TTI's once you've got them installed in the pipe.

I know it's a bit annoying to remove an exhaust you've just installed but the TTI's do make a difference in the lows and mids and improve the tone and it's worth it. The heat shields are not too tough to cut, just take your time if you do go the notch approach and it turns out very nice. I didn't take any images of the heat shields once I'd cut them and with the exhaust now on the bike it might be impossible to do, the notches and TTI locknuts are on the back of the pipes where you can't see them, which is exactly what I wanted but I could try if you need me to

These are the W158's with no baffles on my '13 and they do make a sweet difference

The following users liked this post:
NC Rob (01-10-2017)
Old 05-05-2015, 12:04 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
I'm currently running my third set of V&H Big Shots Staggered, they look great and I installed them on my '13 Wide Glide and I know exactly what you're referring to, the BSS's soften the low and mid-range performance. On my '13 I'm tuning with a Power Vision, started with a great map from FuelMoto with multiple autotune runs to really dial her in but as you've now noticed, you can't tune out certain pipe design aspects and get that bottom end back

The solution I've found to really help with the low and mid-range performance with the BSS's is to remove the stock baffles and install DK Custom Thunder Torque Inserts. I've used them on all 3 BSS installs. The TTI's do help bring back the lows and mid-range and they deepen the tone of the exhaust pulling out that bit of brightness I always seem to hear in the BSS's. If you like the sound now you'll love it after the TTI's

The TTI's are not too difficult to install but you'll most likely find as I have after now doing my 3rd set of TTI's in Big Shots Staggered pipes you'll need to remove the exhaust from the bike to install them, the location of the baffle hole is on the back side of the header pipe once installed and it's going to be difficult to get to, you need to enlarge the hole to 3/8". With the design of the full coverage heat shields and their tight fit I've needed to cut notches in the shields for the TTI mounting locknut to slide through to properly install the heat shields. You could also drill a hole in the heat shields larger than the locknut but then you'll always need to remove the TTI's before you can remove the heat shields, cutting the notches in the shields will allow you to remove and install the shields without disturbing the TTI's once you've got them installed in the pipe.

I know it's a bit annoying to remove an exhaust you've just installed but the TTI's do make a difference in the lows and mids and improve the tone and it's worth it. The heat shields are not too tough to cut, just take your time if you do go the notch approach and it turns out very nice. I didn't take any images of the heat shields once I'd cut them and with the exhaust now on the bike it might be impossible to do, the notches and TTI locknuts are on the back of the pipes where you can't see them, which is exactly what I wanted but I could try if you need me to

These are the W158's with no baffles on my '13 and they do make a sweet difference

Thanks for the shout out and the great info and picture

Originally Posted by Jfree700grizzly
I just installed these pipes with their fuel pax3 and SE intake and it feels like I loss some low end power over a stock bike. Has anyone else notice this or is it me? The pipes and intake look sweet! I love the sound of these pipes but at idle and low rpms it's loud! Real loud over stock. At 50-60mph it's perfect not to loud or annoying at all. The intake does stick out a hair more than stock cleaner but shows more of the motor and really looks good. I'm happy in general but thought I'd gain power over stock and my short ride doesn't support that!

Pipes! - YouTube

I agree with TinCupChalice, the Thunder Torque Inserts do make a sweet difference. They will help you out with the low and mid range torque, and they have adjustable sound volume and tone, for the sound that you like best.

You can also find sound clips and more information at the link below, hope this helps you out
http://dkcustomproducts.com/Thunder-...nserts_c57.htm

Kelsey

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 05-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser

I'm so mad at these mods, I've read many posts about these pipes and not one said they lost any low and mid end! It's very noticeable of a loss. I like the sound at 50mph or above but lower speeds it's loud! It set my neighbors car alarm off warming up this morning. It's to loud for my small town when I leave my house at 615am I wake the whole village up. Will these baffles make that better? I see v&h baffles don't really. Also how do baffles give u more low end? Every thing I've modded less restriction the better. I know a harley needs some back pressure that's y I went with the cross over design. Plus I like the looks of it. I don't want max performance of I'd of got the 2-1 but I don't like that look on my fb, but I'd never have thought a better breather, tuner and exhaust would give me less power!! I paid for a weaker bike and it wasn't cheap. I'm goin to see if I can't find something better but I'd like not to. I'd rather that these pipes off and try the baffles if it will make a difference. Just very unhappy with this setup. I would not buy it in hine sight.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 PM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you start buying more stuff or changing things, I would take a look at the map you are running with that fuel pak. The tune won't really affect how loud those pipes are but if you feel less power than stock, something is wrong.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:34 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Yea, the BSS's are loud, the TTI's do quiet them down but not as much as you may wish, they'll make the tone deeper with even more of a low down thump to them, that may not be what you're after. On every install I've done, carb and now FI, the BSS's do want to kill the bottom, this '13 is my first adventure into a fuel injected HD so I didn't install the TTI's immediately wondering if I could tune out the low end loss with the Power Vision, but no, it's not going to happen so I installed the TTI's which helped greatly. What you're dealing with is the design of the pipes themselves, it's in their nature to soften the bottom and mid-range, they look fantastic which is why I use them but they're not a performance pipe.

My first thought now is tuning for the pipes. I'd try and see what other mapping may be available for your FP3 that may give you better results with the BSS pipes, my PV is giving me great results and this is from a guy who has spent quite a few years on liter bikes track riding wanting that rush out of the corners, the BSS's are not bad with a decent tune so I'd seriously look there before replacing the pipes, the BSS's are a bit hard to tune for so I'd experiment with some other maps in your FP3 and see what results you can get... If you had a CV carb I could give you a great baseline setup to start with, the FP3, not so much

Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pull them off, put them on the classifieds or eBay, and buy yourself a nice 2-1. Money sucks but better than riding a bike you are unhappy with. Recommend bassani, D&D or Thunderheader.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:50 PM
ravnos5811
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you think the BSS are loud on a stock engine. I just installed a set of Woods 555 cams on my bike with the BSS exhaust. Needless to say my neighbors tolerated me before, I'm going to get hate mail now.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser

Well I hate to do this but after a few rides I just can't have this setup. First off my neighbors came over and asked real nice if I could do anything about how loud this bike is at 630am! I told them no but I agree it's to loud for my neighborhood. I like the sound up high but it's not worth the noise when I have less low end. I paid $650 for them I'll ask $575 shipped to whoever wants them. If the power was the same or more of keep them but it's not. I also don't like the feel of my SE extreme chisel intake. I Paid $350 for that and I'll ask $300 shipped. Only have 120 miles on them and I've never done this but it's bothing me that bad. I love the look of the cleaner but not the feel of how it rubs my leg. I wanted the elite ventilator but the dealer said this one was better flow and didn't go past the stock filter. He is half right. I'm not looking for a good 2-1. Don't like the look but they have the best sound and I know I will have stock power back. If I redline the bike or run high in rpms like 3k it goes but I feel I'm beating it up doing that. Back to set one again.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines BSS power loss