Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines BSS power loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I spent a few hours last night auto tuning this fuel pax3 and I got most my power back. Still some low end loss. If I run her in the 3-4 grand rpm it moves but still not like stock. I'm goin to try some baffles and I ordered a different breather as the extreme SE one sticks out way to far. I'd not recommend these pipes if u want to keep the power u have and if u think u will gain power u will be upset like me. They look nice that's y I'm trying to keep them. Ordered the SE elite cleaner and I think I'll like the way it hugs my leg better. It's not rough pointy edges like the extreme one is. I'll post compare pics after I get it installed. Again Vance and Hines big shot staggered pipes WILL rob power no matter what anyone tells u! I found out the hard way as no one tells u that or I haven't seen it so I hope this will help someone down the road.'

Old 05-10-2015, 09:39 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

better watch it, the mods don't like it when you say bad things about sponsors. you might get banned now. I dared to say the BSS didn't fit with my oil cooler and I got a warning.

anyway on this power issue, it's mostly a mental thing, the bike now makes a lot more noise so you think you pulling the throttle harder than you actually are and you can hear the rpms much better.. if you look at the DK charts for the inserts that supposedly restore low end power, they only add a few horse power. But they do make the bike quieter, so again you have that mental effect of seeming faster.

pull the throttle hard on that bike and it's going to go just as fast, I promise you. You holding back because the loud-azz exhaust hurts the ears.

I like the TTI's because they do quiet the rasp of the exhaust down a bit and makes them sounds deeper which is a great thing, especially with the BSS.

and next time your neighbors mow their yard or their dog barks tell them to keep the noise down, what's wrong with people, they listen to lawn mowers, weed eaters & leaf blowers, screaming kids & barking dogs for hours but they complain about 5 seconds of motorcycle noise. I would tell them Don't blame me for your sleep problems dick, you got issues, anyone who is sound asleep would not be woken by a little exhaust rumble, what are your walls made of cardboard?

Last edited by LunaticFringe; 05-10-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser

Oh boy! I know how forums work with sponsors but I believe the reason for forums is to share info on mods and bikes. If I get banned for sharing my thoughts and findings on these pipes then so be it, then this isn't a forum I want to be apart of. These pipes did rob low end period!! I know what u mean on the noise but it's a dog from stock form on low end power. After a few auto tunes it's better but not a product I'd buy again and I will be buying a 2-1 but not from v&h. Sorry. I really don't care about who hears my bike but it's loud for me as well. I'm that guy now who rides by and people shake their head. I'm sure some rides love that but I dont. I wanted louder but not this loud! I'm goin to try those baffles if it's still about the same I'll be selling these BSS for $100 less than I paid shipped to the lower 48. And I'll buy a good set of pipes.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:37 AM
Andy02
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfree700grizzly
Oh boy! I know how forums work with sponsors but I believe the reason for forums is to share info on mods and bikes. If I get banned for sharing my thoughts and findings on these pipes then so be it, then this isn't a forum I want to be apart of. These pipes did rob low end period!! I know what u mean on the noise but it's a dog from stock form on low end power. After a few auto tunes it's better but not a product I'd buy again and I will be buying a 2-1 but not from v&h. Sorry. I really don't care about who hears my bike but it's loud for me as well. I'm that guy now who rides by and people shake their head. I'm sure some rides love that but I dont. I wanted louder but not this loud! I'm goin to try those baffles if it's still about the same I'll be selling these BSS for $100 less than I paid shipped to the lower 48. And I'll buy a good set of pipes.

First, if you understand exhaust, you will understand that yes, you did lose low end torque. Take a look at a dyno print out running drag pipes and you will see a big drop in torque down low. You have the same issue. It is not a backpressure thing, it is a reversion thing. As your exhaust pulse reaches the end of the pipe, it is reflected back towards the exhaust port. So the question then becomes how do we fix it? You have three options, either more baffle, TTI's, or a 2-1 pipe. 2-1 pipes work basically like a crossover or "X" pipe on car exhaust but you said those were out so we have the other two. More baffle absorbs more of the exhaust wave which means it doesn't get reflected back towards the combustion chamber. TTI's work off of Bernoulli's principle. They have the effect of increasing velocity by decreasing pressure. Because of the increase of velocity, reversion pulses don't make it all the way back to the combustion chamber.

Hope I've helped at least a little. If you take nothing else away from my post, just understand this. The closer to true drag pipes you get, the worse the problem is going to get. It has been well documented in the auto racing world and they found a way to fix it. So have we, but you don't seem to like the options instead thinking it is the fault of the exhaust.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:10 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe

and next time your neighbors mow their yard or their dog barks tell them to keep the noise down, what's wrong with people, they listen to lawn mowers, weed eaters & leaf blowers, screaming kids & barking dogs for hours but they complain about 5 seconds of motorcycle noise. I would tell them Don't blame me for your sleep problems dick, you got issues, anyone who is sound asleep would not be woken by a little exhaust rumble, what are your walls made of cardboard?
Oh great! The neighbors asked nicely, and the bike is probably nowhere near a legal noise level. Great way to have them turn the issue over to the cops, who could go as far as issuing an expensive EPA violation (aside from him needing to put the stock exhaust back on). They could possibly even impound the bike.

Besides, we enjoy getting along with our neighbors. Our bikes are danged loud, but we try to be very careful about when we make noise, and try to keep the noise to a minimum around the neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:28 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Need a good dyno tune. I have not found a single exhaust system out there that is not a big improvement over stock at every rpm with a good tune. Blows my mind the people can even compare exhaust systems or performance without proper tuning

Old 05-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Andy02
First, if you understand exhaust, you will understand that yes, you did lose low end torque. Take a look at a dyno print out running drag pipes and you will see a big drop in torque down low. You have the same issue. It is not a backpressure thing, it is a reversion thing. As your exhaust pulse reaches the end of the pipe, it is reflected back towards the exhaust port. So the question then becomes how do we fix it? You have three options, either more baffle, TTI's, or a 2-1 pipe. 2-1 pipes work basically like a crossover or "X" pipe on car exhaust but you said those were out so we have the other two. More baffle absorbs more of the exhaust wave which means it doesn't get reflected back towards the combustion chamber. TTI's work off of Bernoulli's principle. They have the effect of increasing velocity by decreasing pressure. Because of the increase of velocity, reversion pulses don't make it all the way back to the combustion chamber.

Hope I've helped at least a little. If you take nothing else away from my post, just understand this. The closer to true drag pipes you get, the worse the problem is going to get. It has been well documented in the auto racing world and they found a way to fix it. So have we, but you don't seem to like the options instead thinking it is the fault of the exhaust.
Well thanks for the info i didn't know all that! The motors I've build are nothing like a harley I'm finding out. The less restriction the better power! Not true for harley. I'm ordering these tti baffles but I do blame v&h a bit cause it said it will gain power over stock system on revzilla site. I like the look and was expecting at least to keep the power I had. Maybe my fault for not reading for 3 weeks instead of 2 but either way I still stand by my statement. I wouldn't buy these pipes again. I'd of bought a 2-1 and looked like a rice bike but been happy with the power. Now I have them they are growing on me so I'll keep them and deal witht the power loss. Thanks for the info again it's really appreciated!!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Oh great! The neighbors asked nicely, and the bike is probably nowhere near a legal noise level. Great way to have them turn the issue over to the cops, who could go as far as issuing an expensive EPA violation (aside from him needing to put the stock exhaust back on). They could possibly even impound the bike.

Besides, we enjoy getting along with our neighbors. Our bikes are danged loud, but we try to be very careful about when we make noise, and try to keep the noise to a minimum around the neighborhood.
Your 100% right man!! They are nice people and came out and asked nicely if I could do anything about it. I live in a small village with 2 cops and 1 blinking light so they have a eye out for me. The cops that is. I hate to be a dick and I know it's loud!!! I'm young and they are old so I don't want to be that guy. U know the as* hole of the town! It's highly illegal and u will get pulled over in my town for it!!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Jfree700grizzly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vdop
Need a good dyno tune. I have not found a single exhaust system out there that is not a big improvement over stock at every rpm with a good tune. Blows my mind the people can even compare exhaust systems or performance without proper tuning
I set the tune from v&h on their fuel pax but it's not a good tune at all! A few auto tune runs and now it's a lot better. Not sure y it blows your mind because every stock exhaust Ive replaced with aftermarket was a huge improvement but again not on a harley. Lesson learned!!

Old 05-11-2015, 12:17 PM
motorend
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Could it be possible that it feels like you've lost bottom end because your actually cruising at a much lower rpm? I have the lowrider so the tach is right there on the tank. I originally was cruising at 2800 rpms with the stock exhaust. Cruising below 2500 wasn't even feasible. I too installed the fp3, high flow filter, and the similar Python staggered duals. These are far from a drag pipe, as they are a stepped header, spiral louvered baffled, and have a crossover port. What I found is that I was now cruising at 2100 and 2200 rpms. First I thought flat as well but realized it was the rpms. The torque and responsiveness has improved greatly, allowing cruising at a much lower rpm. I will say this, if I get it up to the rpm I was cruising at, 2800, then romp on it, it has far more pull than stock. Not even close.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines BSS power loss