Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Gear Magnetic Tank Bag - Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:49 PM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daytona Gear Magnetic Tank Bag - Anyone?

Looking at possibly picking up a tank bag for some upcoming trips.

Anyone have any experience dealing with Daytona Gear products?

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/830-905

I don't want anything that sits super high, but this particular bag looks pretty decent for the price. Just need it to hold my cell phone while it charges, some on the road munchies, maybe some gloves, glasses, etc.

While I'm on the subject, what are you guys using to charge your phones for those long trips?

Old 05-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I never travel without a tank bag and have one frequently on the bike locally.
I've used a tank bag for years my thoughts are:

The bag you posted appears to have 2 magnets. Get one with 4. A bag can blow off passing an oncoming truck especially if there is a side wind.

Find a bag that has back-up straps in addition to magnets. Mine has a strap that loops around my handle bar riser and back to clip on the front of the bag. There is also a strap that loops around the frame between the tank and seat and goes up to clip on the back of the bag. They can blow off.... I had mine try to blow off on the interstate with a strong wind from my left and passing an oncoming truck.

Get a bag that is basically water resistant/proof. Some bags come with a built in rain cover that you can pull out from underneath the bag while you ride and is held on over the bag by an elastic strap. Get one that is rain resistant and has a cover.

Get a bag that can expand. The more you use the bag, the more uses you will find for it. It is amazing how much they can carry if it comes with a second zipper you can unzip and get another couple of inches of height.

My tank bag has become as much of a necessity as my saddle bags or t-bags when I travel. In fact I have left the t-bags at home or saddle bags off before but never my tank bag.

The bag I use was really pretty cheap and I've used the hell out of it in all weather over thousands of miles for years and is still in good shape. Shop around and find a good bag, you won't regret it.

Last note. Go buy a roll of rubber cabinet/drawer liner from Wal-Mart and cut a piece off to lay on your paint before throwing your bag on your tank. I do this and have never gotten a mark from the bag.

Last edited by Jonesee; 05-01-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:32 PM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
I never travel without a tank bag and have one frequently on the bike locally.
I've used a tank bag for years my thoughts are:

The bag you posted appears to have 2 magnets. Get one with 4. A bag can blow off passing an oncoming truck especially if there is a side wind.

Find a bag that has back-up straps in addition to magnets. Mine has a strap that loops around my handle bar riser and back to clip on the front of the bag. There is also a strap that loops around the frame between the tank and seat and goes up to clip on the back of the bag. They can blow off.... I had mine try to blow off on the interstate with a strong wind from my left and passing an oncoming truck.

Get a bag that is basically water resistant/proof. Some bags come with a built in rain cover that you can pull out from underneath the bag while you ride and is held on over the bag by an elastic strap. Get one that is rain resistant and has a cover.

Get a bag that can expand. The more you use the bag, the more uses you will find for it. It is amazing how much they can carry if it comes with a second zipper you can unzip and get another couple of inches of height.

My tank bag has become as much of a necessity as my saddle bags or t-bags when I travel. In fact I have left the t-bags at home or saddle bags off before but never my tank bag.

The bag I use was really pretty cheap and I've used the hell out of it in all weather over thousands of miles for years and is still in good shape. Shop around and find a good bag, you won't regret it.

Last note. Go buy a roll of rubber cabinet/drawer liner from Wal-Mart and cut a piece off to lay on your paint before throwing your bag on your tank. I do this and have never gotten a mark from the bag.
Agree with the need to get a 4 magnet type. A friend of mine had a two magnet bag, it blew off and was immediately run over by an 18 wheeler. Bad thing was his cell phone was inside and it was crushed. I never do long trips without mine (4 magnet version). For charging the phone I have a cigarette lighter adapter and plug it in while I ride. I haven't had my current bike too long and it didn't have a lighter, so I bought a handlebar mounted one from JP Cycles http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5000682
Should be all set.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:43 PM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great advice guys.

I'm going to look into it a bit more when I get home.

Much appreciated.