Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:32 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Vance and Hines disappointment

I have a 2 into 1 pro pipe. Love the looks and the sound, chromed holding up well etc. Problem is the dang mounting bracket snapped right where it holds the pipe. I've had the pipe foot two years but was hoping I could get some assistance from them. Called their support and was informed it was out of warranty,I knew this, and they wanted $120 for a new bracket. Sadly it appears no one but they carry the damn thing. I figured out a fix, using 1 1/4 inch square tubing and it will be fixed, just disappointed.

It looks as if the metal was just weak or not treated properly where it broke as it is clean break I have attached a pic.

Anyone think I'd be better off trying to weld it, although it looks kind of skimpy. I'm just worried if I make that section to strong it may send stress up the bracket.

Attached Thumbnails Vance and Hines disappointment-img_20150422_231721.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 12:39 AM
Andy02
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would weld it. Even if it breaks further up the bracket, welding it didn't really cost you anything. The other option would be to make a whole new bracket. Being that you have the old one as a template, it wouldn't be hard.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:00 AM
Kwest88
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 90 degree bracket for my short shots cracked right up the middle. I just welded it back. A few months later I pulled the exhaust and realized the front head pipe was cracked at collar and the brackets holding the black heat shields to the pipes some where broken. Called vance and hines to find out they only have a one year warranty. They offered to sell me new pipes at a discounted price. After fighting them for about a week they went ahead and warrantied the pipes but I don't plan on buying vance and hines again.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:11 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwest88
The 90 degree bracket for my short shots cracked right up the middle. I just welded it back. A few months later I pulled the exhaust and realized the front head pipe was cracked at collar and the brackets holding the black heat shields to the pipes some where broken. Called vance and hines to find out they only have a one year warranty. They offered to sell me new pipes at a discounted price. After fighting them for about a week they went ahead and warrantied the pipes but I don't plan on buying vance and hines again.
I get the feeling they are too big to worry about a failed bracket, which IMO appears to be a bad spot of metal. I'm not getting any warm and fuzzies after talking with V&H customer support and having a 5+ pounds bracket break after a couple years. Maybe I'll dump it and head back to Cobra. I always liked their 2 into 1 on my Roadstar, looked great and had a lifetime warranty, not sure if it would cover something like this though.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:16 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A few years ago I had a support bracket break off my bub7 exhaust. They sent me a new one but I couldn't wait three weeks to get up and running. Besides that Their piece was made of 3/32" cheap white metal so what I did was I grabbed a piece of 3/16" cold steel flatbar, bent in a 90* L shape and drilled the appropriate hole for it to bolt up tho the main bracket which held the rear. The threads were damaged so I had to drill and tap a size up, and I used an old torca clamp to fix my new bracket to the pipe - and it never broke again.