Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install coming soon. A few questions first.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:56 PM
Kwest88
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cam install coming soon. A few questions first.

OK guys im almost ready to puchase everything for my cam swap but had some questions still after searching around. Im going with the SE204 cams in my 2013 streetbob with a 96ci. Will be buying fuel moto pushrods and cam install kit. As for the cam bearing install tool i found one on ebay for $50 doll hairs shipped from a seller named whoya. Anyone used this tool or know anything about it? Seems a bit cheaper than some i have seen and wasnt sure if there was a reason for this. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:14 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

To install the new cam bearings you will need a puller to remove the old bearings first, which probably isn't included with the $50 "whoya" tool you saw on ebay.
~

Old 04-23-2015, 12:29 AM
Kwest88
Cruiser

Originally Posted by O-Town D
To install the new cam bearings you will need a puller to remove the old bearings first, which probably isn't included with the $50 "whoya" tool you saw on ebay.
~
Ahh you are correct. Just looked at the item again and it does not include the puller.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:47 AM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You just need the puller, you can tap in the new inner cam bearings using one of the old cams as a tool. Freeze the bearings in your freezer a day before installing them. Put a little bit of oil on them, tap lightly....They will go right in.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 AM
Kwest88
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lama
You just need the puller, you can tap in the new inner cam bearings using one of the old cams as a tool. Freeze the bearings in your freezer a day before installing them. Put a little bit of oil on them, tap lightly....They will go right in.
This will probably be the route i go. I know iv read numerous times people saying to do it the "right" way but i cant justify spending 100+ on a tool im only going to use once in the next few years.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:52 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the tool was bought and sold on here frequently making it an effective rental.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:20 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lama
Yup, this.

I recently installed 204's and really like them. Fuel Moto even had a canned map for me which was awesome.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwest88
This will probably be the route i go. I know iv read numerous times people saying to do it the "right" way but i cant justify spending 100+ on a tool im only going to use once in the next few years.
I hear what you're saying but frankly it's worth buying the tool from Heartland Express, or watch the classifieds here. I bought mine and sold it the day after I used it. Total cost including shipping was $15 after sale. Job is incredibly easy with the right tool.

Also, not sure if FM has re-designed their adjustable pushrods, but if not they're a little more complicated than some of the others for only a few $ less. Up to you, I'm sure they're a fine product. I used the S&S Quickees, got a great deal from Phat Performance.

The job itself is a lot of fun and not too difficult. If you're not familiar with it there's a good video put on by JP on you tube plus lots of threads here. Here's a link to mine.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...am-change.html

Have fun!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bentwrench
I thought the tool was bought and sold on here frequently making it an effective rental.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:55 AM
bspencer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented both tools from lister on ebay for like $40.00

Bspencer

Quick Reply: Cam install coming soon. A few questions first.