Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 FXDI stumbling on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Sithis
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 FXDI stumbling on the road.

So I am new to fixing bikes but I also refuse to go to a shop when there is someone somewhere that can teach me what to do or what to look for.

I have an 04 FXDI the problem is intermittent and usually happens on the road at any given speed in any gear. I will be going down the road and if I try to accelerate my throttle will cut out for about 2 seconds then kick in and act like nothing has happened. Sometimes like th other day I was on a run with a buddy when it started happening. I got off the freeway and came to a light. The RPMs were way high and it stayed like that for about a minute. I went to another friends house and took off my air cleaner & cleaned it out. after that it seemed to run fine for a couple of days. last weekend I took it for a run for about 5 hours 2 hours in one direction. when we got there the bike sputtered and died. It started right back up and when we rode for another 3 hours back it did the stumble thing twice.
I always put premium gas in my bike and tried running about 4 ounces of sea foam to a tank twice. I noticed yesterday while messin with our bikes doing oil changes and general maintenance I couldn't find where the top vacuum line goes to. I see the outlet on the carb. But it only had a small piece of rotten hose on it about the size of a washer in thickness. I have a suspicion that this is causing my issue but I can't see where it is supposed to go to.

TLDR: Bike stumbles while riding, throttle cuts out for a couple of seconds ONLY if i try accelerating and only sometimes. Vacuum line from top of carburetor if you're facing it would be on the top left of the body of the carb/throttle body.

Can anyone tell me where that hose goes?

Thanks for reading my story of a post and I appreciate any help offered to me.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:29 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

An FXDI is fuel injected, I don't get how yours has a carb. A pic of that piece of hose would help.
Check the fuel filter, if it's clogging up that could cause the hesitation. In the event you have fuel injection, not a carb, you could also have a hole in the internal fuel line.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:32 PM
Sithis
6th Gear

I guess I should have talked of it as a throttle body. I went to a friends house and checked his TB and found that it is just capped off. I am gonna cap mine tonight and take it for a good ride to see if that fixes my problem

Old 04-23-2015, 06:21 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ld check the battery posts are tight on all ends pos. and neg. first and foremost. An injected bike will not run without the battery, one of your connections might only be a hair loose, but that would be enough to cause what youre describing including the occasional high revving.. If it's not the connections it could only be the battery itself, unless it's the fuel filter or the inner tank hose like Nevil said, or not likely but the quick disconnect under the fuel tank.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Sithis
6th Gear

Sorry for being a dumbass but I have to ask. My tank has a hose underneath connecting both sides together. The bike has that as well as an in tank hose?

Ill check the battery connections at lunch

Old 04-24-2015, 12:28 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Sithis
Sorry for being a dumbass but I have to ask. My tank has a hose underneath connecting both sides together. The bike has that as well as an in tank hose?

Ill check the battery connections at lunch
The hose under the tank is a crossover line. The one in the tank is part of the fuel pump assembly and it under pressure. It's common for the line to rub against the inside of the tank and wear a pinhole through it. With the fuel level below that line you can hear the sound of the gas hitting the tank when you turn the ignition on and the pump is acitivated.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:02 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

the crossover hose only serves to make sure the fuel in the tank is level on both sides therefor keeping the weight balanced.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Sithis
6th Gear

I think that may be my problem. I will have to take it apart this weekend. I checked the battery terminals and they were snug. I was supposed to head out camping on my bike last weekend but the bike did its thing again and died out on me twice. It was hard to start the first time and was acting like it was not getting fuel the second time it just started up again real quick. I drove it for maybe 30 minutes in total from work to a buddy's house. These times when the throttle cut out I was at a stop light. If I tried to blip the throttle it would cut and almost die. If I decided not to do anything it died. So I was just there playing a stupid game with the throttle trying to keep the bike running. At one point I had to sit through a cycle of traffic lights because the bike was not in the mood to get up and go. Starting to be concerned about what can happen during rush hour on my 30 mile trips to and from work.

Also It makes no difference if I ease onto the throttle or go WOT it happens whenever it feels like it

Old 04-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Sidewind75
Advanced

I had a similar problem. What i found was my quick disconnet for the fule line rignt under the tank was bad it would not open up all the way so it was not getting enough gas

Old 04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

The FX series had carbs on some models through at least 2005.
You could get either a carbed or injected bike during the same period of time.
OP, are you sure your bike is injected? What you describe sounds like a carb issue.

Quick Reply: 04 FXDI stumbling on the road.