Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ever road trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 03:47 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default First ever road trip

Normally I'm lucky to get in a couple of hours for a fun ride, maybe a couple of times a year I'd get longer.

I have some meetings in North Carolina and since I was travelling on my own decided to take the bike with me. Weather was supposed to get iffy by mid afternoon so I was thinking of taking the Interstate all the way to my destination with a fun route back home on Wednesday. Total trip is 350 miles in each direction.

Rode the first couple of hours lickety split on the Interstate to Roanoke VA and then since the weather was so nice and I was making great time I decided to jump up to the Blue Ridge Parkway (speed limit 45mph). Absolutely lovely and had the road all to myself but it definitely took much longer and then I ended up jumping off the parkway to find a different route to make up some time. according to mapquest, if I had stayed on the Interstate the whole way it would have taken 5.5 hours but the route I took would go over 8 hours. At any rate, got nice and lost but loved every minute of it but right around the 300 mile mark the weather was really starting to roll in and I could hear thunder in the distance so pulled off and found a Hampton Inn. Will finish up and get to my meetings tomorrow.

The LP bags are incredible, they expand quite a bit. I have 3+ days of clothes in them, a laptop, extra jacket, toiletries, etc and still have room to spare. Very happy with the purchase! Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take any nice ride pics but will do so on the return trip.

After 300 miles my wrist was a little sore and my lower back was definitely feeling it but not too badly and I feel fine now. I Totally get the joy of touring right now!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:52 PM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love those long trips. Enjoy the scenery and the ride!

Old 04-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Good on you man. There is no better feeling than heading over the horizon on a bike.

A sore right wrist can usually be fixed by using a cramp-buster (so you don't need to grip the 'bar constantly, and can just rest your hand on it (also there's a little thumbscrew under your right switchblock that can be adjusted to stop the throttle closing when you take your hand off - it works but make sure you only make it just tight enough to stop self-returning. Don't want to lock it solid.

I always get the sore lower back thing for the first couple of days or so, then it disappears. Some folk like backrests, some swear by kidney belts. Some do crazy ab exercises...

Old 04-20-2015, 05:07 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

$10 on one of those throttle assist things is well worth the price. You can ride open handed and still maintain throttle control. I ended up getting the Avon grips with the added throttle assist.

Once you start the touring thing, its really hard not to keep it up.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks! I think I ride by a dealership on the last leg of my trip tomorrow so if I can will check out a throttle assist.

Some breaks between storms so went through town to find a place to eat, was nice to toodle. Looking forward to a sunny day tomorrow. Only an hour and a half left to get to my destination but think I may "meander" a little

Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Young953
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those type of runs are the best. Throw miles on without much of a worry about time or destination. Ride safe

Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

How's that 1/4 fairing for blocking wind? Glad you're enjoying the ride!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:26 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
How's that 1/4 fairing for blocking wind? Glad you're enjoying the ride!
thanks!

The fairing is doing a great job, lots of bugs coming off of it. In fact I feel like it's doing a better job than my previous quick detach HD windshield. I had a lot of cross wind today over 20mph and with the old one I would feel pretty sketchy with those winds above 65-75mph, this fairing seems to cut vs. push with the wind putting it over my head and maybe a little less affected by the winds due to its smaller profile. I also wear a modular, full face helmet so that's helped as well.

FWIW I've already planned my detour tomorrow. Heading towards Blowing Rock NC to check out a ropes course before getting to Beech Mountain where I'm intended to be.

Last edited by robbyville; 04-20-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 762 Likes on 528 Posts

Good for you Robby, sounds like a nice ride/trip!

Gotta have pain relievers, what ever they got, as long as they're the strongest one can find.
Get both, the daytime ones and the night time ones to help ya sleep.

Well hell, NC, that reminds me of a true story, starring yours truly:

So there I was, young, handsome, dashing, fit, dumber than a box of hammers and even more naive.
Moving on orders from Benning going to Bragg, early '84. Was on the bike that turned sport bikes on it's ear, a red and white '83 Interceptor, I was on top of the world on that thing, beautiful bike they were!

Tooling along, somewhere where banjos are often heard, going up a slight hill. Come up behind a pickup with a canopy on it. I notice movement in the back, there's 5 toothless cooters in it, something gets passed from one to another, a white 5 gallon bucket.

As naive as I was I knew they were pissing in that bucket to chuck on who else, that feller with teeth riding that red and white space ship behind them.

I ease over, check the left lane, knowing I had to time it right. Bam, Clem and Flem sitting nearest the canopy gate kick it open while Rufus Fudpucker rears back to chuck the group's **** on me.

Missed by a mile, easy dodge to the left, no harm no foul. I actually thought it was hilarious, couldn't blame them.

But I swear I was prepared to die had they hit me. I was gonna crash into the beater and kill them all. But it was funny.

I wish I was young again to do it all over.

Anyway, sleep tight and I leave you with similar tale

Old 04-20-2015, 07:59 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Well jeez suede, liked the story but not the vid!!!

Love the stories man, keep them coming. I've got some good coming of age ones but nothing MC related!

Quick Reply: First ever road trip