Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike bad front brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:42 PM
RJMFXDC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bike bad front brake

I have a new 2014 FXDC with 140 miles on it. The front brake will not hold firm after sitting for a few days. I have read the entire tech tip section for soft brakes. I tried all the tricks in these threads. I have had the bike back to the dealer twice with no lasting result. Next move for them is to rebuild, not replace, rebuild the master cylinder per MoCo instructions. I believe they should replace the master not just rebuild it. Is it feasible that the master just needs a rebuild after a total of 140 miles use. Any opinions or suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Old 04-19-2015, 03:01 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 670 Posts

What "tricks" have you tried

Old 04-19-2015, 03:28 PM
RJMFXDC
Novice

Originally Posted by misfitJason
What "tricks" have you tried

Bled brakes, tied back lever for 2 days tapping the caliper, brake line and banjos. I do not have a power bleeder but the dealer did, or so they said. No reason to doubt them at this point. I did not clean the caliper pistons, at a 140 miles I didn't think it necessary. Anything I missed? I really believe if they believe it's the master they should replace not rebuild. Problem is, is it really the master?

Old 04-19-2015, 03:47 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Is there any fluid loss? If no fluid loss air is somewhere unless a adjustment is needed at the clevis/linkage if there is an adjustment. It would be cheaper to go new than rebuild but less hours to charge against the warranty. So just to understand your rear brake lever when pressed will travel full amount with no resistance at all? Just noticed front brake. If you have lost no fluid and lever is soft and its been power bled you just let them rebuild it.

Last edited by slyedog; 04-19-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:38 PM
acky1946
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey RJM,
Exact same thing happened to me with a new 2014 FXDC. I,too, tried all the tricks and nothing worked. Was told that there were some issues with that specific part. Dealer replaced the master cylinder and the brake has been perfect since.

Acky

Old 04-19-2015, 04:57 PM
RJMFXDC
Novice

Originally Posted by acky1946
Hey RJM,
Exact same thing happened to me with a new 2014 FXDC. I,too, tried all the tricks and nothing worked. Was told that there were some issues with that specific part. Dealer replaced the master cylinder and the brake has been perfect since.

Acky

So they replaced yours. That is my point to the dealer, if the master is bad why are we rebuilding the old one. The thing spends more time at the shop than on the road.

How did you convince the MoCo to replace than rebuild? Did you have to call HD direct or did the dealer do the negotiating ? I understand crap happens, but let's solve the problem. My fear is we rebuild the master and then still have the problem and it goes back in the shop again. Hell, I'll do the work just gimme all the parts and fluids needed.